How to Grill the eggplant:
- On the Grill: Using a fork or a knife, poke holes in the eggplant at least 4 times, wrap the eggplant with foil and place on the grill rack. Grill for at least 5-8 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- On a gas stovetop: Using a fork or a knife, poke holes in the eggplant at least 4 times, Place the eggplant directly over the flames and cook by rotating regularly with tongs, for about 4 to 6 minutes or until evenly charred.
- In the oven: Using a fork or a knife, poke holes in the eggplant at least 4 times, then place the eggplants on a baking sheet, and brush it with oil and bake for 30 minutes at 400 F or until the eggplant is tender when poked with a fork.
Allow the eggplant cool and gently peel skin. Rinse under cold, running water to rid of any stray skin then proceed with recipe as directed.
- Remove the stem, then cut the eggplant into 3 or 4 inches, then slice open without cutting all the way through to each of the pieces (see picture above)
- Place the eggplant in a bowl, and add chopped tomatoes and white onions.
- Squeeze the lemon or the calimansi into the bowl making sure the seeds are not included, then add the coconut Liquid aminos or soy sauce and gently mix.
- Finally, garnish with the green onions and serve.