Try this delicious Ginataang Puso ng Saging recipe! This is the classic Filipino dish made vegan, and in English translated banana blossoms cooked in coconut milk. It’s quick, easy, and perfect for lunch or as a side dish!
What is Ginataang Puso ng Saging?
Vegan Ginataang Puso ng Saging main ingredient is the banana blossom, also known as banana heart. This is an authentic and creative Filipino dish enjoyed by most Filipinos.
How do you cook banana blossoms (banana hearts)?
The banana blossom is boiled and softened, then sliced finely. If you’ve tried artichoke hearts, it’s almost similar in preparation.
There are so many ways Ginataang puso ng saging can be cooked like badding chilis, or even a bit of turmeric for that unique kick of spice or just the simple coconut milk with onion, ginger, and salt.
One of my favorite ways to eat this is with steamed rice, but non-vegetarian friends and family enjoy it with grilled fish or meat.
Health Benefits of Puso ng Saging (Banana Blossoms):
- Loaded with potassium which helps our heartbeat in a normal state
- Good source of antioxidants
- Great source of Vitamins A, C, and E
- Has a huge nutritional value because of the flavonoids, amino acids and fatty acids which the body needs
Tips on How to Make Vegan Ginataang Puso ng Saging:
- To keep the banana blossoms from browning after slicing them, soak it in water squeezed with a bit of lemon juice or calamansi juice.
- If you are avoiding salt, you can use mushroom seasoning. You can find this at your local asian market or Trader Joes
- Do you love mung bean sprouts? You can add a cup of it to this recipe.
- Add some peanut sauce before taking it off the stove and you now have a Vegan Ginataang Kare-Kare na Puso ng Saging. An easy and delicious twist!
How to Make Vegan Ginataang Puso ng Saging:
These are the ingredients that you will need:
- coconut oil
- red onion
- red tomato
- puso ng saging (banana blossoms), chopped
- chili peppers
- coconut milk
In a saucepan over medium heat, preheat oil and saute onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes until translucent:
Next, add the puso ng saging (banana blossoms) and saute for about 1 minute:
Then cover with a lid for about 3 minutes periodically checking if the puso ng saging is cooked. To check if it’s cooked the puso ng saging will be soft.
Now it’s time to add salt, pepper, and mix:
Add chili peppers and cook for 1 minute then add coconut milk:
Allow it to simmer for 4 minutes:
Here you go, Simply Bakers! This is such a quick, easy and nutritious vegan recipe you’ll love!
Frequently Asked Questions for the Vegan Ginataang Puso ng Saging Recipe:
Q: Where can I buy banana blossoms (banana hearts)?
A: Your local Asian market, you’ll also find canned banana blossoms (banana hearts), but fresh is also best when it comes to banana blossoms (banana hearts)
Q: Do you need to clean the florets inside the banana blossom or do you just chop the whole thing?
A: After taking the hard outer parts of the banana blossom, you can directly chop it finely.
Q: How many minutes should I boil the banana blossom before finally cooking it?
A: For me, it took about 40 minutes, but some banana blossoms are young and tender so it could be quicker.
Q: Can I freeze this after cooking?
A: It’s best served immediately, but you can store in the fridge for up to 3 days because coconut milk does not freeze well.
Q: Can I use instant coconut milk for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can, but fresh coconut milk is always the best 🙂
More delicious vegan Filipino recipes:
Here are some of the fan favorite Filipino desserts:
Vegan Ginataang Puso ng Saging
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion minced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic. minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger minced
- 1 small red tomato small cubes
- 300 grams puso ng saging banana blossoms, minced
- 2 chili peppers minced
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, preheat oil and saute onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes until translucent.
- Next, add the puso ng saging (banana blossoms) and saute for about 1 minutes. Then cover with a lid for about 3 minutes peridoically checking if the puso ng saging are cooked. To check if it’s cooked the puso ng saging will be soft.
- Add chili peppers and cook for 1 minute, then add coconut milk simmer for 4 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and mix.
- Best served with steamed rice.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!