A comforting vegan stew recipe that has all the goodness of vegetables and protein you need in a main dish – Vegan Pochero!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 5–7 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into cubes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 5 saba banana cut diagonally and in half*
- 1 large carrots, peeled and roughly cut
- 1 string of lemon grass knotted and tied (optional)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 5 pork -like protein meat (can be purchased in Buddhist Shop or health food store) looks like chopped pork
- 1 med size bell pepper, julienne
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3–5 pechay (bokchoy) leaves or 1 small size cabbage roughly sliced
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with oil.
- Sauté garlic, onion, sweet potato and cover until potato softens.
- Add water and cover until it boils. (you can mashed it to thicken the soup)
- Add ginger to enhance the flavor of the soup.
- Add saba bananas, carrots, lemongrass and cover with a lid until it boils.
- Mix in soy sauce, vege meat, bell pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Add pechay or cabbage, cover, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes (do not mix).
*if you’re in the Philippines it’s also known as saba na saging