Vegetarian Ginataang Gabi
Ginataang Gabi or Taro is an authentic Filipino-Bicolano vegetarian dish that is rich, creamy, and delicious and makes a perfect meal in itself!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 350 grams of fresh taro (gabi) stalks, leaves and root must be 2 inches in length and cut horizontally
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, chopped and mashed
- 8–10 cloves of garlic, peeled and pressed
- 1–2 med size red shallots, chopped quarter size
- 3 green chili peppers
- 3 big size batwan or calamansi (optional)
- 2 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a deep pot, add the taro (gabi) stalks and coconut milk
- Then add ginger, garlic, onion, chili peppers, and salt in the pot.
- Place the pot on the stove, cover it with a lid, and turn on the fire on medium heat. Set the timmer for 15 IMPORTANT: Do not mix or touch the mixture because it will make the taro itchy.
- Next add batwan, vinegar and allow it to boil for about 1
*if you you don’t have fresh taro, you can also use dried Taro leaves and stalks