Here’s a delicious ube puto topped with cheese for a simple and healthy dessert or snack! They are made with a perfect combination of rice flour, purple yam, milk, and ube extract then steamed to deliciousness!
What is Ube Puto?
Ube Puto (Purple Yam Steamed Rice Cake) is a quick, easy and delicious Filipino dessert or snack made with flour, ube halaya, milk, butter, and ube extract. It is usually topped with cheese to balance the sweet flavor.
This steamed rice cake recipe is so simple to make and needs a few easy to find ingredients only. It’s a great recipe for picnics, parties or any gatherings and a perfect treat for ube lovers. Its pretty and vibrant purple hue makes it more appealing to the eyes. Give this a try!
Health Benefits of Ube:
- Improves gut health
- Helps lower blood pressure
- Helps manage blood sugar
- Rich in antioxidants
- Great source of carbs, potassium, and vitamin C.
Tips and Procedures:
- You may use ube-flavored condensed milk instead of ube halaya.
- Make sure that the baking powder is not an old stock or expired. To check, pour ¼ cup of hot water to a 1 teaspoon of baking powder, if it bubbles then it’s still okay to use.
- Feel free to use water if evaporated milk is unavailable.
- Topping options: salted egg, ube, condensed milk
- Adjust the amount of sugar according to your preferred level of sweetness. You may also omit the sugar then add more tablespoons of condensed milk.
- Grease the bottom part of the molder only before filling in the puto batter to achieve a dome appearance.
- Cover the lid of the steamer with a cloth to prevent the steam to drip onto the puto which may cause deflation.
- Storage: Put the leftovers in an airtight container then place in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to Make Filipino Ube Puto :
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- rice flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut milk
- evaporated milk
- ube halaya
- ube extract
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, rice flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and set aside.
In a medium bowl, add coconut milk, evaporated milk, ube halaya, melted butter, ube extract and mix until combined:
Gradually add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain:
Pour the batter into the mold until halfway full. Steam the batter for 3 minutes, then place the cheese on top of the batter:
Continue cooking for another 7 minutes, then remove it from the steamer and allow it to cool before removing it from the mold. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter and place it in a cooling rack to cool it completely:
Serve and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If there are leftovers, it is best to store them in an airtight container in the fridge. It is not advisable to place the puto on the counter for more than one day because it can be very moist.
No. Ube has a royal purple flesh inside where as taro has a pale white flesh with purple specks. Also, ube is sweeter and more delicate in terms of a starch or food than taro.
No. Ube may contain some toxicity if eaten raw.
Filipino Ube Puto
- ¾ cups rice flour
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups coconut milk
- 1 ¼ cups evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 oz ube halaya
- 2 teaspoon ube extract
- 4 oz cheese cut into strips
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut milk, evaporated milk, melted butter, ube halaya, ube extract and mix until combined.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the mold until halfway full.
- Steam the batter for 3 minutes, then place the cheese on top of the batter
- Continue cooking for another 7 minutes, then remove it from the steamer and allow it to cool before removing it from the mold
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter and place it in a cooling rack to cool it completely.
- Serve and enjoy.