Try this delicious Magic Cake recipe which is delicious and easy to make! It’s an effortless batter split into 3 distinct layers as it bakes in this pleasing magic cake that marks a creamy custard in the middle!
What is Magic Cake?
Basically, one simple batter with three layers– spongy top, custard filling, and a crust-like base.
This Magic Cake is such an easy dessert to make and it’s so addicting! It’s still one of my favorite cakes to make because people always wonder how I got the custard in the middle!!
Tips & Procedures:
- When adding the egg whites to the batter, it is important to remember to just fold. Folding means, the lighter mixture, such as beaten egg whites, is being placed on top of the heavier ones, such as the cake batter. From the back of the bowl, a large rubber spatula is used to cut down vertically through the two mixtures, across the bottom of the bowl, and up the nearest side.
- To get the milk lukewarm, I usually warm it for about 30 seconds. My microwave heats extremely fast, so you may need to microwave it longer.
- Use parchment paper instead of greasing the baking pan for clean and easy removal.
- This also tastes delicious with a dollop of homemade whipped cream and strawberries!
- Baking time: Depending on the oven, for some people it took only 45 minutes to bake for others it took 70 minutes! If you have a newer oven, you’ll probably lean to the 45 minutes mark.
- Storage: Once the cake has completely cooled, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It’s best eaten within that time frame.
How to Make Magic Custard Cake:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- melted butter
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- warm milk
- powdered sugar
To save time, preheat oven to 350F before starting to mix the ingredients. Also, do not forget to generously grease 8×8 inch pan.
Separate eggs and add egg whites to a mixer and beat until stiff. Place egg whipped whites in another bowl and set aside:
In the mixing bowl add egg yolk, butter, sugar, and mix. Then add vanilla extract:
Add the all-purpose flour, then gradually add milk:
Fold in egg whites carefully. Make sure not to mix. Use the folding method so your cake won’t “drop” after baking:
Gently pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes:
Allow to cool for 30 minutes, sprinkle powdered sugar and serve:
Check out that layer of wonderfulness! Delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions:
It’s all about the baking process that naturally results in three distinct textured layers. The top is spongy, the middle because custardy, and the base is rich and dense.
There is no standard length of time to whipping the egg whites. It is best to observe until you see soft peaks, that’s when you know you can stop whipping.
You probably didn’t bake it long enough. It may take 45 minutes or as long as 70 minutes depending on the oven. The safest way is to to check is when the top of the cake is golden brown and the cake doesn’t “jiggle” when you gently shake the pan.
More Easy Cake Recipes to try:
Foolproof Magic Cake
- 4 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- powdered sugar for dusting the cake optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and generously grease 8×8 inch pan.
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Add egg whites to a stand mixer bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Place egg whites in a another bowl and set aside.
- In the stand mixing bowl, add egg yolk, butter, sugar, vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- While it's still mixing, gradually add flour first then milk.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes or un, then sprinkle powdered sugar and serve.