Who doesn’t love chocolate covered pretzels, sweet and salt for every bite?! For this recipe, finding pretzel rods was a bit of a challenge and I came across it only by accident. I was window shopping at my local cake supply store and there they were, all in one piece so I purchased some. Also for those of you who don’t have a local cake shop around the corner, try Smart & Final, however the bag has a lot of broken pieces.
I kept this recipe simple and I used a five different kinds of sprinkles and some of the sprinkles tasted like peppermint and gingerbread men which I found really neat! Do all sprinkles have a unique taste?
I don’t know what I was thinking, but I accidently burned the candy melts! Who does that?! Well, that would be me ladies and gentlemen. I microwaved the chocolate for three minutes and was a big mistake, normally you only warm it for about a minute (if it is a small batch of candy melts). Well, I discovered that the candy melts were ready after 30 seconds, it’s just I didn’t mix it thoroughly for the chocolates to melt.
Tips and Tricks for Making This Chocolate Pretzel Rods Recipe:
- Are you having a party? Make this dessert you dessert table centerpiece! make it during weddings, birthdays, Christmas, or even on the 4th of July!
- When melting the chocolate, do not set the stove at a very high temperature. The chocolate could easily burn.
- If using a microwave in melting the chocolate, do it in short increments to avoid burning the chocolate.
- You can also use a double boiler in melting the chocolate. Just make sure that the bowl of chocolates does not touch the boiling water. It will cause the chocolate not to melt properly.
- If you do not like too sweet desserts, use semi-sweet chocolates to coat your pretzel rods.
How to Make this Chocolate Pretzel Rods Recipe:
Before starting, don’t forget to prepare the ingredients ahead. It saves you a lot of time to lay them all out, plus, you know you are not missing an ingredient.
Are you all set? Let’s begin!
Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl according to directions or microwave every 30 seconds and mix in between. Add 1 tablespoon of shortening and mix well. The final consistency should be like this, smooth and glossy:
Dip pretzel rods, add sprinkles:
Allow the pretzels to sit on wax paper for 10 seconds before handling:
They looked so pretty, Simply Bakers! I am sure your holiday parties would be more fun with all these colorful and delicious pretzel rods!
These pretzels tasted amazing, I hope you enjoy them too!
Frequently Asked Questions for Chocolate Pretzel Rods Recipe:
Q: Can I do this a few days ahead?
A: Yes, sure you can. You can decorate it ahead and keep in an airtight container.
Q: How many servings would this recipe have?
A: This recipe gives you a lot! Depending on how much chocolate you will be melting and also how many pretzel rods you want to coat.
Chocolate Pretzel Rods
- assorted color candy melts
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl according to directions or microwave every 30 seconds and mix in between.
- Add 1 tablespoon of shortening and mix well.
- Dip pretzel rods, add sprinkles, and allow the pretzels to sit on wax paper for 10 seconds before handling.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!