Sweet, creamy, and delicious – this Ube Halaya (Purple Yam Jam) is a must-try Filipino dessert recipe! It’s super easy to make and perfect for holiday desserts or snacks!
What is Ube Halaya?
Ube Halaya (Purple Yam Jam) is a classic Filipino delicacy that is commonly anglicized as ube jam, halayang ube or nilupak na ube. It is made of coconut milk, mashed ube (purple yam) and sugar boiled together and stirred continuously until the thick consistency is achieved.
It’s a sweet and creamy pudding-like jam that is often used as a spread, topping, or an ingredient for bread, cakes, ice cream, halo-halo, milk tea, and other ube-based recipes. Try and enjoy this delicious ube jam for dessert or mid-day snack in any gathering or occasion!
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to use mashed ube tuber in this recipe for a fresher taste.
- Ube extract is optional but a few drops of it help boost the color, aroma, and flavor of this jam.
- Topping options: latik, toasted coconut flakes, shredded cheese, sweetened macapuno strings and sweet and salty coconut sauce
- You may serve this as is or mold into dishes known as llanera molds. For small portions, use tart molds, small bundt pans or even ramekins. For serving a crowd, use large pie dishes, loaf pans, or pyrex dishes.
- To prevent the whole mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning, stir it constantly until you get the right consistency.
- Storage: Keep in an airtight container or wrap tightly with cling wrap to prevent from drying out. Place in the in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to one month.
How to Make Ube Halaya :
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- evaporated milk
- coconut milk
- frozen grated ube yam
- ube extract
- vanilla extract
- juice of half a small lemon
In a large pot over medium heat, add evaporated milk, coconut milk, brown sugar, grated ube yam and bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally:
After about 5-7 minutes of boiling it should look like the first picture below. After about 15 minutes it should look like the last picture:
Transfer to heat safe jars and allow it to cool completely. Serve.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ube halaya is a good source of carbohydrates and it makes the digestion so smoothly.
Ube jam can be used to make variations of ube ice creams, cheesecakes, cakes and other delicious desserts.
Pick an ube that is firm all around and with no squishy spots. Good yams should be free of bruises, soft spots and discoloration and the skin is not too wrinkled.
- 1 can (12.5 fl oz) evaporated milk
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 pound frozen grated ube yam
- ¾ cups butter
- 2 teaspoons ube extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of half of a lemon
- In a large pot over medium heat, add evaporated milk, coconut milk, brown sugar, grated ube yam and bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Next add butter, ube extract, vanilla extract, juice of half a small lemon and allow to simmer while stirring regularly, about 25-30 minutes or until it turns into a thick, sticky dough.
- Transfer to heat safe jars and allow it to cool completely.