Warm your soul with this simple Ginger Noodle Soup recipe made with rice noodles, shiitake mushrooms, and bok choy infused with ginger, garlic, and star anise flavors. This comforting vegan soup is definitely a perfect option for a healthy and hearty lunch or dinner during the cold season!
Need more soup recipes? Try my Vegan Chicken Rice Soup, Misua Soup (Vermicelli Soup), Vegan Batchoy (Filipino Noodle Soup).
What is Ginger Noodle Soup?
This Ginger Noodle Soup is an easy, savory, and healthy soup dish made with sautéed shiitake mushrooms and spices like onion, garlic, and ginger, then simmered with vegetable broth, rice noodles, bok choy, and star anise. Then seasoned with soy sauce, salt, and pepper and topped with sesame seeds, chili flakes, and green onion slices.
So, if you’re having the flu or want to feel warm during the cold season, this super simple and comforting ginger garlic noodle soup recipe is perfect for you! Try it out and fill your soul with a delicious and filling noodle soup dish.
Health Benefits of Ginger:
- Boosts brain function.
- Aids in treating chronic indigestion.
- Helps lower the risk of infections.
- Help reduce LDL cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Highly effective against nausea and motion sickness.
- Contains powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Tips and Procedures:
- This ginger noodle soup is very customizable so you can add other veggies like baby corn, carrot, snow peas, sugar snap peas, and plant-based proteins like tofu, or any additions of your choice.
- Alternatively, you may use cinnamon sticks instead of star anise. The flavor will be quite different, but it will still be delicious.
- Star anise should not be consumed. It adds a wonderful flavor to soup but it tastes awful when eaten whole. After the broth has simmered, make sure to remove the seed pods
- You may use tamari instead of soy sauce for a gluten-free sauce option. Also, feel free to use olive oil instead of vegetable oil, if desired.
- It is best to use vegetable broth in this recipe but water can do to keep it vegan if the broth is unavailable. Fresh ginger and garlic work best for this recipe, too.
- Feel free to use other kinds of noodles such as ramen noodles, egg noodles, or angel hair pasta for this dish according to your preference. You can also use baby bok choy in this dish for a more tender texture and a sweeter taste.
- Topping options: cilantro, sesame seeds, scallion slices, red pepper flakes, and lime wedges.
- Storage: Refrigerate any soup leftovers in an airtight container for 3 days. You may separate the noodles and broth because the noodles will soak up the broth as they sit, but it’s entirely up to you. Simply reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until warmed through.
How to Make Ginger Noodle Soup:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- shiitake mushrooms (dried works too)
- red onion
- garlic cloves
- vegetable broth
- star anise
- soy sauce
- ground black pepper
- bok choy heads
- rice noodles
- sesame seeds
- red chili flakes
- green onions
Add oil to a heated pot over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Next, stir the onions, minced garlic, and sliced ginger; continue cooking for another minute. Then, pour in the vegetable broth, star anise, and soy sauce:
Bring the mixture to a quick boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Then, season with salt and ground black pepper; turn off the heat:
Meanwhile, divide the bok choy and the prepared rice noodles into 2 serving bowls. Pour and divide the ginger soup into the bowls. Then, top each bowl with sesame seeds, red chili flakes, and chopped green onions:
Enjoy a delicious and healthy noodle soup with the family.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Star anise has a strong, licorice-like flavor and a sweet, fragrant aroma.
No, ginger has the added benefit of lowering blood pressure and maybe just as effective as some common medications.
Cut the baby bok choy in half lengthwise. Trim the root but leave it intact so the leaves don’t fall off.
Ginger Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 thumb-sized ginger sliced
- 4½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bok choy heads blanched
- 6 ounces rice noodles prepared in accordance to package instructions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Add oil to a heated pot over medium heat and saute the mushrooms for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Stir in onions, minced garlic, and sliced ginger; continue cooking for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, star anise, and soy sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a quick boil and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper; turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, divide the bok choy and the prepared rice noodles into 2 serving bowls.
- Pour and divide the ginger soup into the bowls.
- Top each bowl with sesame seeds, red chili flakes, and chopped green onions.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply