Have a warm bowl of Sour Cabbage Soup for a hearty lunch or dinner during this winter or rainy season! This is a healthy and savory vegetable soup that is rich in delicious flavors, super easy to cook, and made with nutritious ingredients in one pot!
Looking for more soup recipes? Try my Easy Ginger Noodle Soup, Vegan Chicken Rice Soup, or my Vegan Misua Soup (Filipino Noodle Soup).
What is Sour Cabbage Soup?
This Sour Cabbage Soup is a delicious and hearty one-pot vegan soup recipe made with savory vegetable broth, fresh cabbage, mushrooms, chayote, carrots, and spices. It’s a rich, hearty, satisfying sour soup that is super easy to cook, nutritious, and full of Asian flavors. Don’t ever consider this sour cabbage soup recipe a starter because it contains everything you need for a veggie-packed winter night dinner. During the cold season, nothing beats a hot bowl of comforting cabbage soup. Have a try and enjoy a bowl of a healthy vegetable dish!
Health Benefits of Cabbage:
- Supports heart health.
- Helps fight inflammation.
- Improves digestive health.
- Rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- Reduces blood pressure and cholesterol level.
Tips and Procedures:
- Store-bought pre-shredded green cabbage can be used for this soup. Feel free also to use purple cabbage if you can’t find green cabbage.
- Adjust the ingredients or seasonings according to your desired taste and volume.
- You may add sweet paprika, rice vinegar or lemon juice, and brown sugar to this dish to make it a sweet and sour cabbage soup.
- Feel free to add cubed sweet potatoes, white beans, tofu, or your favorite vegetables like zucchini, cauliflower florets, or even green beans to this recipe.
- Topping options: scallions or cilantro slices or toasted sesame seeds.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
How to Make Sour Cabbage Soup:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- red small onion
- garlic cloves
- chili flakes
- red bell pepper
- tomato paste
- purple/green cabbage
- vegetable broth
- ground black pepper
Add oil to a heated pot over medium heat and saute mushrooms for 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Stir in the minced garlic and onions; saute for another minute:
Mix in sliced ginger, chili flakes, diced bell peppers, tomato paste, diced carrots, chayotes, and diced cabbage. Continue sauteing for another 3 minutes:
Pour the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a quick boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes:
Season with salt and ground black pepper:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable with a unique phytonutrient compound that can help with stomach fat reduction.
Yes. It contains sulforaphane, a chemical that aids in the detoxification process of the body. It also gives the body glutathione, an antioxidant that helps the liver perform its detoxification job.
Napa cabbage is a type of Chinese cabbage that has an oval head of light green leaves and is popular in Asian cuisine. The term “napa” is derived from the Japanese word for any vegetable’s leaves, particularly when used as food.
Sour Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 large green cabbage, diced
- 2 teaspoon ginger, sliced
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 peeled carrot, diced
- 1 cup peeled chayote, diced
- 4 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add oil to a heated pot over medium heat and saute mushrooms for 3 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Stir in the onions and minced garlic; saute for another minute.
- Mix in diced cabbage, sliced ginger, chili flakes, diced bell peppers, tomato paste, diced carrots, and chayotes.
- Pour the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a quick boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper and serve immediately.
- feel free to use purple cabbage if you can’t find green cabbage
Leave a Reply