Try this easy Filipino Veggie Tofu recipe for a tasty and healthy vegetarian lunch or dinner. Enjoy the delicious combination of veggie slices, savory sauce, and baked tofu balls in this simple vegetable dish with your loved ones!
What is Filipino Veggie Tofu?
This Filipino Veggie Tofu recipe is an easy tofu recipe made of veggie slices such as carrots, sweet potatoes, and red bell peppers cooked in a savory sauce with deliciously baked homemade tofu balls. It’s a great tofu dish to serve with warm steamed rice for a vegetarian lunch or dinner on any occasion. This vegetable stew with tofu balls is protein-rich, tasty, and simple to cook. If you’re looking for an easy vegetable recipe for your next gathering, this is perfect for you!
Give this easy veggie tofu recipe a try and please let me know how it goes for you in the comment section below. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Tofu:
- Boosts kidney health.
- Helps prevent anemia.
- May aid in weight loss.
- Helps boost skin health.
- Lowers cholesterol level.
- Helps reduce type 2 diabetes risk.
- Good source of plant-based protein.
Tips and Procedures:
- It is best to use baked tofu balls, but you can also use fried tofu cubes or balls, especially if there is no oven available.
- For a vegan version, use an egg replacer instead of the real eggs in making this Filipino dish.
- Feel free to use or add green onion, snow peas, green beans, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, and sesame oil to this veggie tofu recipe.
- Storage: Keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days. Reheat before serving.
How to Make Filipino Veggie Tofu:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- firm tofu
- olive oil
- canned sweet peas
- sweet onions
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- sweet potatoes
- red bell pepper
- grated ginger
- red chili flakes
- low-sodium soy sauce
- vegetable broth
- brown sugar
- vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Place the chopped tofu in a large mixing bowl, then mash and remove excess water from the bowl:
Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sweet peas, sweet onions, spinach, cornstarch, beaten egg, salt, and ground black pepper and mix well until thoroughly combined:
Divide and form the mixture into several balls or quenelles. Place the formed balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside:
Place the remaining olive oil in a heated skillet. Combine all the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are fork-tender. Add in the baked tofu balls and mix well with the sauce:
Continue simmering for another 2 minutes and transfer to a bowl and serve immediately:
Enjoy a delicious meal!
Frequently Asked Questions:
In this recipe, it is best to use firm tofu.
Tofu tastes sour and is quite bland before cooking. It is an excellent absorber of flavors, so when it is cooked, it can be sweet, sour, savory, crunchy, or soft.
You can use any dish you desire to eat with tofu, depending on how it is cooked. It is best to eat it with warm steamed rice in this recipe.
Filipino Veggie Tofu
- 3 cups firm tofu chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup canned sweet peas drained
- ½ cup sweet onions finely minced
- ½ cup spinach chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg beaten
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes diced
- ½ cup carrots sliced
- 1 red bell pepper quartered
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster mushroom sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the chopped tofu in a large mixing bowl, then mash and remove excess water from the bowl.
- Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, sweet peas, sweet onions, spinach, cornstarch, beaten egg, salt, and ground black pepper and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Divide and form the mixture into several balls or quenelle.
- Place the formed balls in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
Assembling the Dish:
- Place the remaining olive oil in a heated skillet over medium high ehat.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are fork-tender.
- Add in the baked tofu balls and mix well with the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediletly with steamed rice.