Here’s a quick and easy Crispy Orange Tofu recipe made with pan-fried breaded tofu that is deliciously coated with sweet and savory orange sauce. It’s a healthy vegan dish that is perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner with loved ones!
What is Crispy Orange Tofu?
This Crispy Orange Tofu, sometimes called vegan orange chicken, is a delicious tofu dish made of breaded, firm tofu cubes that are pan-fried until crispy and coated in a sweet and savory Asian-style orange sauce. It’s a plant-based Filipino version of the traditional Chinese orange chicken recipe that is easy to make, healthy, and perfect to serve on any occasion. Consider making this delicious fried tofu, sauce, and all, in your own kitchen. This vegan orange tofu is one of the best homemade tofu recipes you can make for your family. It can be served and eaten on its own or with rice, noodles, or stir-fried vegetables. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Tofu:
- Rich in protein.
- Improves brain health.
- Boosts immune system.
- Promotes muscle health.
- Lowers risk of certain cancers.
- Reduces menopause symptoms.
Tips and Procedures:
- You can either pan fry, air fry, or bake the breaded firm tofu according to your preference.
- You may use sesame oil to add depth of flavor to this crispy orange tofu recipe. Avocado oil, canola oil, and olive oil are good options also for this easy fry recipe.
- Alternatively, arrowroot powder can be used if corn starch is not available.
- It is best to use firm or extra firm tofu in fried tofu recipes. Make sure to drain the water from the tofu before frying by putting something heavy, like a chopping board, on top of it.
- Fresh orange juice is best to use for this recipe but canned orange juice can do. Just make sure it’s 100% pulp-free.
- Feel free to add red pepper flakes for a spicy flavor, white or rice vinegar for a tangy taste, and orange zest or ginger if you want it to be deliciously zesty.
- Topping options: green onion slices or sesame seeds
- Storage: Refrigerate crispy orange tofu in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave with a splash of water. Freezing this vegan chicken recipe is not recommendable.
How to Make Crispy Orange Tofu:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- firm tofu
- garlic powder
- ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- garlic cloves
- orange juice
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- oyster mushroom sauce
Mix cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into the firm tofu and toss to coat well:
Add the vegetable oil to a hot skillet over medium heat. Fry the coated tofu until crisp and brown. Once done, remove from the skillet and transfer temporarily to the bowl:
Place all the remaining ingredients in the same skillet and bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened:
Toss back the fried tofu and mix well to coat properly:
Remove from skillet and transfer to a serving plate. Serve immediately:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Simply add hot chili sauce or red chili flakes to this crispy orange tofu recipe.
It can be served with steamed white rice, cauliflower rice, noodles, or stir-fried vegetables like broccoli, carrots, and bell pepper.
The addition of cornstarch slurry to this recipe makes a sticky orange tofu.
Crispy Orange Tofu
- 3 cups firm tofu medium diced
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup orange juice
- ⅛ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster mushroom sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Making the tofu:
- Mix cornstarch, garlic powder, salt, and ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into the firm tofu and toss to coat well, set aside.
Cooking the Tofu & Sauce:
- Add the vegetable oil to a hot skillet over medium heat and fry the coated tofu until crisp and brown on all sides. Once done, remove from the skillet and transfer temporarily in the bowl.
- Place all the remaining in the same skillet and bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Toss back the fried tofu and mix well to coat properly.
- Remove from skillet and transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply