Warm up your cold nights and days with this easy and delicious Filipino Hot Soup recipe! It’s made of tofu, mushrooms, eggs, veggie slices, and vegetable broth, which makes it a hearty dish for the whole family. Have a try!
What is Filipino Hot Soup?
This Filipino Hot Soup recipe is an easy, healthy, and tasty soup dish made of vegetable broth, diced firm tofu, mushrooms, eggs, and veggie slices. It tastes sour with the added rice vinegar and is thickened by the cornstarch mixture.
It’s the perfect comfort food to serve during the cold season and is great for lunch or dinner for the family. Pair this with steamed rice and enjoy a simple yet hearty and delicious Filipino food. Please let me know your thoughts in the comment section if ever you try this easy Filipino recipe!
Health Benefits of Tofu:
- Helps with heart health.
- Lowers cholesterol levels.
- Excellent source of protein.
- Supports the immune system.
- Reduces the risk of certain cancers.
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to omit the egg for a vegan version.
- You may use sliced bamboo shoots, enoki mushroom slices, black fungus, bok choy, bell pepper, green beans, garlic, and green onion slices in this Filipino dish if desired.
- Feel free to use tamarind if rice vinegar is unavailable.
- For a spicy version, you may add minced fresh ginger and chili oil or black pepper to this Filipino soup recipe.
- For non-vegans or vegetarians, you may use chicken broth instead of vegetable broth and chicken or beef meat for protein.
- Storage: Place your leftover soup in an airtight container and put it in your fridge. It can last for 1-2 days. Reheat the soup on medium heat before serving.
How to Make Filipino Hot Soup:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- soy sauce
- black rice vinegar
- white sugar
- sesame oil
- ground white pepper
- vegetable broth
- button mushrooms
- firm tofu
- water and cornstarch mixture
In a bowl, mix together, combine soy sauce, black rice vinegar, white sugar, sesame oil, and ground white pepper, set aside:
Place the vegetable broth in a pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the sliced carrots, button mushrooms, and sliced radish, and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes:
Add the diced tofu, the soy sauce mixture, and the water-cornstarch mixture and continue simmering for another 2 minutes. Then, add the shredded cabbage and beaten eggs and continue to cook for another 2 minutes:
Season with salt then transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately:
Frequently Asked Questions:
It tastes savory, spicy, and tangy which makes it delicious comfort food.
Yes, it can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. Make the soup and leave out the tofu before freezing. When the soup is prepared to be served, defrost it, add the tofu, and bring it to a boil.
Some of the popular soups in Filipino cuisine are tinolang manok (chicken soup), nilagang baka (beef soup), laswa (vegetable soup), pancit lomi (noodle soup), fish sinigang, bulalo, and batchoy.
Filipino Hot Soup
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced button mushrooms
- ¼ cup sliced radish
- ½ cup diced firm tofu
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoon cornstarch mixture
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, mix together, combine soy sauce, black rice vinegar, white sugar, sesame oil, and ground white pepper, set aside.
- Place the vegetable broth in a pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the sliced carrots, button mushrooms, sliced radish, and allow it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tofu, the soy sauce mixture, and the water-cornstarch mixture and continue simmering for another 2 minutes.
- Add the shredded cabbage, beaten eggs and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt then transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.