This delicious Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk is a quick and easy recipe you can make in under 30 minutes. It’s a favorite in my house because of the simple ingredients, and hopefully, it will be a family favorite in your house.
This is my all-time favorite eggplant recipe- Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk. There’s something about grilled eggplant that reminds me of camping when I was a kid.
What food aroma reminds you of camping? Let me know in the comments. 🙂
Health benefits of Eggplant:
- It is a good source of vitamins and minerals
- Helps aid constipation
- It improves bone density and improves heart health
- It is a good source of iron, thus help prevent anemia
- Stimulates brain function
- It promotes blood sugar control
Tips on How to Make Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk:
- Choose eggplants that have a soft flesh when you slightly pinch it. It will tell you that the eggplant is fresh and does not contain eggplant worms. When you feel that an eggplant flesh is hard, it might have worms in it.
- It’s best to grill young, tender eggplants because it cooks faster than the big ones.
- If you are avoiding salt, you can use mushroom seasoning. You can find this at your local Asian market or Trader Joes
- It is best to prick eggplant on all sides so it won’t burst during the grilling process. You can use a sharp knife or even a toothpick to poke tiny holes on the eggplant skin.
How to Make Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk:
These are the ingredients that you will need:
- white onion
- red bell pepper
- leeks or green onions
- coconut cream
- chili peppers
Wash all ingredients and pre-heat grill pan to 250F. Prick eggplant on all sides so it won’t burst during the grilling process.
Add the eggplant to the grill, and grill the eggplants by turning them frequently to ensure even cooking:
Make sure to cover the grill pan so that the heat will be trapped inside, thus helping the eggplant cook a bit faster and evenly:
Grill until the skins are dark brown or black, and eggplant is soft to touch:
Next slice eggplant into four parts, then add to a large bowl:
Add tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, leeks or green onions to the eggplant:
Add in the coconut cream and mix until combined. Feel free to add chili peppers if you like it spicy:
Add salt and pepper then serve immediately.
This Filipino dish is a real treat to those who love grilled vegetables. It also serves as a great side dish to grilled fish.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk Recipe:
Q: Do you put the whole eggplant on the grill and grill on all sides with the skin on it?
A: Yes, the whole eggplant with skin should be grilled on all sides.
Q: Can I freeze the grilled eggplant?
A: Yes, you can grill it ahead of time and freeze it. Just thaw it completely before using it and reheat in a microwave or grill it quickly.
Q: Aside from salt, what can I use to season it?
A: You can use mushroom seasoning to add flavor without too much of the sodium content.
Check out more delicious Filipino Recipes:Print
Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk
Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk is an easy, savory vegetarian dish that is a favorite of almost all Filipinos because of the perfect balance of grilled Eggplants and creamy coconut milk!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 people 1x
- 4 medium eggplants
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 tablespoon leeks or green onions
- 1 1/2 cup coconut cream
- chilli peppers, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Wash all ingredients.
- Pre-heat grill pan to 250F. Prick eggplant on all sides so it won’t burst during the grilling process.
- Add the eggplant to the grill, and grill the eggplants by turning them frequently to ensure even cooking. Grill until the skins are dark brown or black, and eggplant is soft to touch.
- After grilling, allow the eggplant to cool, then peel off the skin. Something to note, if eggplant is green, you’ve grilled it correctly.
- Next slice eggplant into four parts, then add to a large bowl.
- Add tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, leeks or green onions to the eggplant, coconut cream and mix until combined. Feel free to add chili peppers if you like it spicy.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Best served immediately.
**Feel free to use charcoal in grilling the eggplants or boil the eggplants until it is cooked
Keywords: grilled eggplant with coconut milk
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!