Try and enjoy the unique flavor of this easy Lemongrass Tofu recipe! Savor the richness of zesty lemongrass mixed with protein-rich tofu—a delectable vegan treat that’s both nutritious and delicious!
What is Lemongrass Tofu?
This Lemongrass Tofu is a tasty and aromatic vegan recipe made of fried firm tofu mixed with spices, soy sauce, brown sugar, vegetable broth, and lemongrass slices, a tropical herb often used in Southeast Asian cuisine.
It is a popular vegetarian or vegan option for diners due to the high protein content of tofu and the vivid flavors of lemongrass.
This tofu dish is popular for its tangy, lemony, sweet, and somewhat spicy flavors from the lemongrass and other spices, which balance the tofu’s neutral taste and texture.
It’s a healthy and delicious vegetarian or vegan tofu dish with bold, aromatic, and delicious flavors. Steamed rice or noodles are often served with lemongrass tofu, which is then topped with fresh herbs like Thai basil or cilantro for an additional flavor boost.
Consider serving it with a side of sautéed veggies or a fresh salad for a well-rounded meal.
Read more below for its cooking tips and quick and simple step-by-step instructions. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Lemongrass:
- Aids in digestion.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Boosts the body’s immunity.
- Packed with vitamins and minerals.
- Loaded with anti-inflammatory properties.
Tips and Procedures:
- Extra-firm tofu will also work well in this recipe, but don’t use silken tofu, as it will disintegrate when it touches the hot pan.
- Press the tofu to remove excess water, which allows it to absorb more flavors during cooking.
- A nonstick skillet must be used in this recipe to prevent the tofu from sticking to the pan. It will ensure a nice, golden crust.
- You can either use honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar in substituting brown sugar.
- Feel free to adjust the level of spice or seasoning to your liking.
- Storage: Place the leftover lemongrass tofu in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
How to Make Lemongrass Tofu:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- firm tofu
- sweet onions
- vegetable broth
- garlic cloves
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
Pour half of the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fry the diced tofu until crisp. Remove the fried tofu from the pan and set it aside:
Add the remaining oil to the same skillet. Then add sweet onions, vegetable broth, sliced garlic, sliced lemongrass stalks, soy sauce, brown sugar, chopped chilies, and grated ginger:
Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes, or reduce to half. Toss back the fried tofu cubes to coat well:
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Before cooking the tofu, squeeze out as much water as possible. The longer you press your tofu, the firmer the texture will be, and it will be simpler to get a delicious, crispy texture.
Lemongrass is a fragrant herb with hints of ginger and citrus. It has a strong, vibrant, and spicy flavor when it is raw, but when it is cooked, the harsh tones mellow out to reveal a rich, lemony floral flavor.
Yes, lemongrass has a strong flavor that is quite lemony, tangy, and refreshing.
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups firm tofu diced
- ½ cup sweet onions sliced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- ¼ cup sliced lemongrass
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon chopped chilies
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- Pour half of the oil into a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fry the diced tofu until crisp.
- Remove the fried tofu from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the same skillet.
- Then add sweet onions, vegetable broth, sliced garlic, lemongrass, soy sauce, brown sugar, chopped chilies, and grated ginger.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer for 5 minutes or reduce to half.
- Toss back the fried tofu to coat well.
- Serve immediately.