This Filipino Vegan Bopis is loaded with nutritious ingredients and bold flavors! It’s usually made with a pig and other meats, but to veganize the recipe, we used tofu and shitake mushrooms without losing the authentic taste.
What is Bopis?
Bopis is a unique Filipino recipe that uses body parts of the pig that many people wouldn’t think they can be made into a recipe. It is mainly made with pig’s lungs and heart, finely minced.
Bopis is considered as a go-to meal with alcoholic beverages during Filipino gatherings but as years passed, it has turned into a main dish.
To replace the meat of the recipe, I used shitake mushrooms and tofu- but it still has the goodness of the authentic taste.
Feel free to eat it with steamed rice or use lettuce and wrap the Bopis in the lettuce.
Tips and Tricks for Making This Bopis Recipe:
- If you prefer a dry bopis, you can omit to add the water or decrease the water quantity.
- It is important to mince or slice the ingredients in the same sizes as it is one of the characteristics of the Bopis recipe.
- If you love a spicy Bopis, add more chili to it.
- Bicolanos love coconut milk in their Bopis so you can also add coconut milk as a replacement to water. It makes a creamier Bopis.
- For a fancier presentation and of course, taste, top with grated vegan cheese before serving.
How to Make Vegan Bopis:
These are the Bopis ingredients that you will need:
- coconut oil
- chili peppers
- firm tofu
- Dried shitake mushroom
- soft tofu
- annatto powder
- vinegar or calamansi
- soy sauce
- bay leaves
In a saucepan over medium heat, preheat oil and saute garlic:
Add onion and saute until translucent, for about 1 minute:
Add chili peppers:
Then add in ¾ cup of diced tofu and the diced shitake mushroom:
At this point, also add the mashed tofu then mixed and stir for 2-3 minutes:
Then add 1 tablespoon of annatto powder and mix:
Add vinegar or calamansi:
Add soy sauce and mix:
Add bay leaves and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes:
Then add in the carrots and radish then mix until well combined:
Allow it to simmer for 2-3 mins then add salt and pepper:
Mix well and serve with steamed rice.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Binignit Recipe:
Q: Where can I buy annatto powder?
A: It can be purchased from any Asian market or you can purchase it here. (affiliate link)
Q: What is Bopis made of?
A: For the meat version, it is commonly made from pig’s lungs and heart that is minced and added with spices.
Q: How long can I freeze cooked Bopis?
A: You can keep it for 3 to 5 days in the freezer.
Q: Should Bopis be eaten with rice or by itself?
A: Filipinos love rice so they regularly eat it with steamed white rice but you can eat Bopis as is.
More Delicious Authentic Filipino Food Recipes:
- Pancit Bihon
- Fried Rice
- Buko Pandan
- Cassava Cake
- Vegan Filipino Champorado
- Biko – Filipino Sweet Sticky Rice
- Mushroom Chicharon
- Mango Float
Authentic Filipino Vegan Bopis recipe is loaded with nutritious ingredients and rich, bold flavors – gluten-free, vegetarian and Vegan friendly!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 people 1x
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 1 tablespoon gigner, minced
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small onion chopped and minced
- 2 chili peppers minced
- 240 grams firm tofu sliced into small cubes
- 250 grams Dried shitake mushroom soaked and sliced into small cubes
- 215 grams soft tofu mashed
- 1 tablespoon annatto powder
- 2 tablespoon vinegar or calamansi
- 2 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ¾ cups radish, diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan over medium heat, preheat oil and saute garlic and onion until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Add chili peppers and ¾ cup of diced tofu, diced shitake mushroom, and mashed tofu then mixed and stir for 2-3 minutes
- Then add 1 tablespoon of annatto powder and mix.
- Add vinegar or calamansi, soy sauce and mix. Add bay leaves and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Next, add water, carrots, radish and mix until well combined.
- Allow it to simmer for 2-3 mins then add salt, pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.
Keywords: vegan bopis
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!