This Tofu Kilawin is easy to make, delicious, and full of flavors like the authentic Kilawin! Some of the notable ingredients are coconut vinegar, calamansi, and of course, tofu which replaces raw fish.
Need more Filipino appetizer recipes? Try my Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Milk, Atsara (Pickled Green Papaya), or Vegetable Lumpiang Shanghai (Vegetable Eggroll).
What is Kilawin?
Kilawin (also known as Kinilaw) is a Filipino cubed fresh tuna fish dish that is gradually “cooked” with vinegar and citrus juices- it is very similar to ceviche.
It’s considered an appetizer dish and is usually served with beer since it has a rich and fresh flavor, but Kilawin is also best served with steamed rice.
Tips & Variations:
- Lessen the calamansi for preferred sourness. If you’re unable to find calamansi, lime works well.
- This dish also tastes wonderful with diced tomatoes. Simply dice 1 Roma tomato and add after the cucumbers.
- Cucumbers: I like using English Cucumbers, but if you’re unable to get them, any variety of cucumbers works.
- If you’re unable to find coconut vinegar use apple cider vinegar.
- If you’re unable to find shallots a good alternative is red onions.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Make Kilawin:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- coconut vinegar
- brown sugar
- chili pepper
- black pepper
Preheat the frying pan to medium heat and add oil. It should be hot enough to make the tofu sizzle right away. Next, add the diced tofu then and fry until golden, set aside:
In a small bowl, add vinegar, salt, and sugar and mix until it’s combined, set aside.
In a large bowl, add fried tofu, ¼ block crushed tofu, cucumber, onions, garlic, chili pepper, black pepper, vinegar mix, freshly squeezed calamansi, and gently toss:
Delicious when eaten with steamed rice!
Frequently Asked Questions:
No, you can use your favorite vegetarian meat. Personally, I’ve only tried tofu, but I think cubed watermelon might work.
Absolutely! Make sure to “cook” it by placing it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 30 minutes before eating.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 14 oz block tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ block tofu crushed
- ⅙ cup cucumber diced
- ⅛ cup red shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 pieces calamansi sliced
- Preheat the frying pan on medium heat and add oil. It should be hot enough to make the tofu sizzle right away.
- Add the diced tofu then fry until golden, set aside.
- In a small bowl, add vinegar, salt, sugar and mix until it’s combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add fried tofu, ¼ block crushed tofu, cucumber, onions, garlic, chili pepper, black pepper, vinegar mix, freshly squeezed calamansi, and gently toss.
- Best served immediately.
Leave a Reply