This Mais Con Yelo is a refreshing layered drink that is made with sweet corn, sweetened condensed milk, and lots of ice! It’s sweet, very addicting, and oh-so delicious!
Love Filipino Drinks? Try my Sago Gulaman (Pearls and Jelly drink), Mango Shake, or Avocado Shake.
What is Mais Con Yelo?
Mais Con Yelo is a layered dessert made with sweet corn shredded ice, condensed milk, sweet milk, and Filipino ice cream!
The literal translation of Mais Con Yelo is Corn with Ice- sounds weird but surprisingly delicious especially paired with corn ice cream or even mango ice cream!
Also, there are many versions of this popular drink/dessert, and here’s my version of it. Keep in mind you create this drink/dessert any way you like- as long as you have the key ingredients!
Tips & Variations:
- Use drained canned sweet corn without salt. Also, fresh-cooked corn works too, just chill in the refrigerator before using.
- If you eat dairy, evaporated milk works really well instead of plant-based milk.
- Ice: I prefer using shaved ice, but crushed ice works too! Here’s my favorite ice machine that I’ve been using for years! Also, if you live in the Philippines, you can easily purchase shaved ice in the market.
- Storage: This is best served fresh and immediately!
How to Make Mais Con Yelo
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- shredded ice
- sweet corn kernels
- diced mango
- grated coconut meat
- almond milk
- ice cream
Using an ice shaver or a sharp knife, shred the ice. Feel free to use crushed ice:
In a serving glass or bowl, add about half a glass (or bowl) of shredded ice. Add 1-2 tablespoons of corn, mango, and coconut meat, and add a layer of shaved ice.
If desired add another layer of corn, shaved ice, mango, and coconut meat:
Otherwise, drizzle, almond milk, and condensed milk and finish with a scoop of mango ice cream. If desired, drizzle additional condensed milk over ice cream:
Enjoy immediately with mango or corn ice cream:
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can, but it will be very sweet. It’s best to eat with shaved or crushed ice.
Use vegan ice cream and instead of using condensed milk, use agave syrup or even vegan condensed milk!
Mais Con Yelo
- 2-3 cups shredded ice
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup diced mango
- ⅓ cup grated coconut meat
- ½ cup almond milk
- condensed milk for drizzling
- mango ice cream optional
- Using an ice shaver or a sharp knife, shred ice.
- In a serving glass or bowl, add about half a glass (or bowl) of shredded ice.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons corn, mango, coconut meat, add a layer of shaved ice.
- If desired add another layer of corn, shaved ice, mango, coconut meat.
- Otherwise, drizzle, almond milk, condensed milk and finish with a scoop of mango ice cream. If desired, drizzle additional condensed milk over ice cream. Enjoy immediately!
Leave a Reply