This healthy and savory Tofu Salpicao paired with a bowl of steamed rice is so mouthwatering! It’s made with simple ingredients, vegan-friendly, and perfect for family lunch or dinner!
Looking for more Tofu Recipes? Try my delicious Tofu Sisig, Tofu Adobo Rice, or my Tofu Poke.
What is Tofu Salpicao?
This Tofu Salpicao is a vegan version of the Spanish-inspired Filipino stir-fry dish – Beef Salpicao or Salpicado de Solomillo! It is traditionally made with beef cubes cooked down in a tasty, savory sauce with lots of garlic bits.
It is one of the favorite Filipino dishes that are influenced by Spanish cuisine since the Philippines was under Spanish rule for many years. Its name is derived from the Spanish word “salpicado”, which means to spatter, sprinkle, or spotted.
In this recipe, I used firm tofu instead of beef, with soy sauce mix, minced garlic, onion, and seasonings which makes a delicious and addicting dish. It is quick and simple to make yet packed with fantastic flavor! It can be served as an appetizer or main dish for vegan lunch or dinner. Try and enjoy!
Health Benefits of Tofu:
- Maintains cardiovascular health.
- Helps lower bad cholesterol levels
- Prevents osteoporosis and anemia.
- Helps treat kidney diseases and gout.
- Reduces the risk of cancer and diabetes.
- Prevents hair loss and manages body weight.
Tips and Procedures:
- It is best to use the extra-firm tofu and a non-stick pan in this recipe.
- You may use olive oil for frying or any neutral oil that is available.
- Feel free to use Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce mixture in this dish.
- You may top it off with some toasted garlic, chopped parsley, and a few dashes of extra-virgin olive oil if desired.
- Feel free to add vegan soy meat chunks and sliced button mushroom to this tofu salpicao recipe.
- Serve this with plain steamed white rice, fried garlic rice, steamed adlai, or any grain of your choice.
- Feel free to adjust the sauce measurements in this recipe to your taste. You can double its measurement if you want more sauce after cooking.
- Storage: Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 days.
How to Make Tofu Salpicao:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegan oyster sauce
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- firm tofu
- vegan butter
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
In a small bowl, mix together oyster sauce, sugar, soy sauce, and smoked paprika; set aside. In a pan over medium-low heat, add oil, and garlic, and saute garlic until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the sautéed garlic and transfer it to a plate:
In the same pan, add the tofu and cook until golden and crispy on both sides:
Add the butter and continue cooking for another minute. Then add the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat:
Add in the sautéed garlic, then season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice to taste:
Serve with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Salpicao is a delicious stir-fry beef dish of Spanish origin.
Salpicao is derived from the Spanish word “salpicado” which means “spattered with”.
It is a savory and garlicky dish that makes a delicious meal with steamed rice.
- 2 tablespoons vegan oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 12 oz firm tofu diced
- ⅛ cup vegan butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and smoked paprika; set aside.
- In a pan over medium-low heat, add oil, garlic, and saute garlic until light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the sautéed garlic and transfer it to a plate.
- In the same pan, add the tofu and cook until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Add the butter and continue cooking for another minute.
- Then add the sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Add in the sautéed garlic, then season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Leave a Reply