This Tofu in Coconut Milk recipe is a healthy, savory, and easy-to-cook Filipino dish that consists of pan-fried tofu tossed in rich coconut milk with string beans and flavorful vegan sauce.
It’s a great dish to pair with steamed rice and vegetables for a delicious lunch or dinner!
What is Tofu in Coconut Milk?
This Tofu in Coconut Milk recipe is probably one of the savory and hearty Filipino dishes that you can make. It’s a perfect combination of tofu, coconut milk, oyster mushroom sauce, red chili flakes, vegan fish sauce, and string beans which makes a bit spicy, creamy and delicious taste.
They are all cooked in one pan and can be made ready in just 30 minutes. It’s a great addition to your easy tofu coconut milk recipe list.
Also, this dish is so affordable, heart-warming, and vegan vegetarian-friendly. Serve this dish along with steamed rice to make it one filling and nutritious meal. Give this a try!
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk:
- It can assist in weight loss.
- Rich in antioxidants.
- Improves digestion.
- Relieves constipation.
- Prevents anemia.
- Rich in anti-inflammatory properties.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Builds muscle and helps reduce fat.
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
Tips and Procedures:
- It is best to use firm tofu or tofu balls in this recipe.
- Make sure to fry the tofu before tossing with other ingredients.
- Feel free to add curry powder, tomato paste, turmeric or cumin if you desire to make it into a tofu coconut curry recipe.
- Add chili pepper according to your preferred level of spiciness.
- You may add sweet bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, green spinach, and fresh cilantro for an additional bulk and nutrition.
- Feel free to add lime zest and lime juice for a tangy taste.
- You may serve this with steamed rice, rice noodles or favorite vegetables of your choice for a full meal.
- Storage: The leftover cooked tofu will last for 3-5 days in the fridge. Just place it properly in an airtight containers.
How to Make Tofu in Coconut Milk:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- red chili flakes
- oyster mushroom sauce
- vegan fish sauce
- string beans
- full-fat coconut milk
- salt and pepper
Add oil in a heated skillet and sauté tofu until turned into light golden brown. Place the tofu on the side of the pan. Then, saute ginger until it becomes crispy and fragrant:
Toss in minced garlic and sliced onions and cook for another 2 minutes on medium-low heat. Then mix garlic, onions, ginger, and tofu together. Add in the chili flakes and continue cooking while stirring for 3 minutes. Season with a little bit of salt, pepper, oyster mushroom sauce, and vegan fish sauce:
Add in the string beans and water, then bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Next, the coconut milk and continue simmering for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste:
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
I stir-fried the tofu and used flavorful sauces like vegan fish sauce and oyster mushroom sauce plus coconut milk.
The previously opened coconut milk will be kept fresh for between 7 to 10 days.
Yes, tofu is healthier than meat because soy provides protein, minerals, fiber, and vitamins without the unhealthy cholesterol and saturated fat that can be found in meat.
Filipino Tofu in Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 9 oz tofu cut into cubes
- 1 oz ginger cut into matchsticks
- 3 oz onions thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon oyster mushroom sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce
- 5 oz string beans cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup water
- 7 oz full fat coconut milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add oil in a heated skillet and sauté tofu until turned into light golden brown, then move the tofu on the side of the pan.
- Saute ginger until it becomes crispy and fragrant.
- Toss in minced garlic and sliced onions and cook for another 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Mix garlic, onions, ginger, and tofu together.
- Add in the chili flakes and continue cooking while stirring for 3 minutes.
- Season with a little bit of salt, pepper, oyster mushroom sauce, and vegan fish sauce.
- Add in the string beans and water, then bring the mixture to a boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, the coconut milk and continue simmering for 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then seve with steamed rice