This Red Velvet Pandesal with Cheese is a new delicious twist of Filipinos’ favorite bread roll! It’s the classic pandesal with an added chocolate flavor, cheddar cheese filling, and red coloring that makes pretty and tasty soft buns that are hard to resist!
What is Red Velvet Pandesal with Cheese?
Red Velvet Pandesal is a delicious and easy-to-make Filipino bread roll recipe that is inspired by red velvet cake. It is made with unsweetened cocoa powder, bread flour, cheddar cheese, red food coloring, and topped with bread crumbs.
Pandesal has been the most favorite breakfast bread of the Filipinos and with an added hint of chocolate flavor, red hue, and cheese filling makes it a must-try bread treat for everyone! If you love bread, this easy and fun pandesal recipe is so perfect for you. Give this a try and enjoy!
Health Benefits of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder:
- Balances cholesterol
- Fortifies cardiovascular health
- Delivers antioxidant value
- Bolsters cognition
- Reduces diabetes risk
- A good source of protein and dietary fiber.
Tips and Procedures:
- Make sure to check first if the yeast is still alive or active. The temperature of the warm milk or water should be within the 105-115 F range as very hot liquids can kill the yeast.
- You may use all-purpose flour as a substitute to the bread flour, though the results may vary because bread flour has a higher gluten content, resulting in a chewier texture.
- If kneading by hand, make it easier by greasing the work surface and your hands with oil and sprinkling the dough with flour. Just do it sparingly as adding too much flour will make the dough and oversaturating it with oil will keep it from rising.
- Feel free to use cream cheese filling as an alternative to cheddar cheese.
- To store: Place the leftovers in an airtight container. They will last up to 2 days at room temperature or 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Place the bread rolls in a baking dish and bake in a 350 F oven for 5 to 7 minutes until warm or arrange them on a microwavable plate and cover with a slightly damp kitchen towel. Then, microwave for a few seconds or just until warm.
How to Make Red Velvet Pandesal with Cheese:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- whole milk
- instant dry yeast
- granulated white sugar
- bread flour
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- red food coloring
- cheddar cheese
- fine bread crumbs
Combine warmed milk, a tablespoon of white sugar, and instant dry yeast in a bowl and allow the yeast to activate about 10 minutes, then set aside:
In a large mixing bowl, add bread flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated sugar, salt, and whisk until combined. Then add the yeast mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla essence, red food coloring, and mix until the rough dough forms. Using the dough hook attachment, knead the dough for 12 minutes:
Then place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with cling film and allow it to stand for 1 ½ half hours or until doubled:
Punch the douPunch the dough and divide the dough into 20 equal portions. Then flatten the dough, add in the cheese cubes, seal, and shape into a ball. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Then, roll the dough into the breadcrumbs and place the prepared dough into the prepared baking sheet. Cover with a moist clean towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes:
Bake in a preheated oven for 14 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow it to cool for a bit before serving:
EnjEnjoy this red velvet bread with a cheese filling that is as pretty as it is tasty!
Frequently Asked Questions:
One of the reasons is that pandesal can be easily purchased hot and fresh from the local bakeries in the Philippines and doesn’t need more time in preparation. The four pieces of pandesal are equivalent to one cup of rice.
You can serve pandesal with your favorite breakfast or snack drinks. You can also slice them in half and put a spread or filling of your choice just like butter, cheese, jam, sandwich spread, or peanut butter.
It could be that the dough was not kneaded properly or long enough and the salt and yeast were mixed together.
Red Velvet Pandesal with Cheese
- 1 cup whole milk warmed at 150 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- ½ cup granulated sugar + 1 tbsp white sugar divided
- 2 ¼ cups bread flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- ½ cup cheddar cheese cut into cubes
- ½ cup fine bread crumbs
- Combine warmed milk, a tablespoon of white sugar, and instant dry yeast in a bowl and allow the yeast to activate, about 10 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bread flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, granulated sugar, salt and whisk until combined.
- Then add the yeast mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla essence, red food coloring, and mix until the rough dough forms.
- Using the dough hook attachment, knead the dough for 12 minutes.
- Then place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with cling film and allow it stand for 1 ½ half hours or until doubled.
- Punch the dough and divide the dough into 20 equal portions.
- Then flatten the dough, add in the cheese cubes, seal, and shape into a ball.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Then, roll the dough into the breadcrumbs and place the prepared dough into the prepared baking sheet.
- Cover with a moist clean towel and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 14 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Allow it to cool for a bit before serving.