These rich, moist, and fluffy Kalabasa Pancakes are so quick and easy to make. They are made with a handful of whole food plant-based vegan ingredients which are perfect for a delicious and healthy family breakfast or snack!
What is Kalabasa Pancake?
This Kalabasa Pancake (Squash Pancake) is an easy Filipino pancake recipe made with a delicious blend of squash, plant-based milk, sugar, ground flax seeds, cinnamon and flour. It’s a vegan pancake that is perfect for a quick, eggless and dairy-free breakfast or snack. This is also an easy and delicious way to bring in the flavors of Fall!
Kalabasa or Kabocha Squash is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin B6, phosphorus, fiber, potassium, folate and more! It is different from pumpkin but both of them are under the plant family Cucurbitaceae that includes gourds, melons, and cucumber. They have different looks on the outside but somewhat similar in the inside. In terms of cooking, one of them can be used as an alternative to the other.
Give this easy breakfast recipe a try and start your day right with rich, fluffy and healthy pancakes then pair them with your favorite drinks and toppings. Yum!
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to put any toppings of your choice.
- You may use pumpkin as an alternative to squash.
- It is best to use good quality non-stick frying pan in cooking pancakes.
- You may use whole wheat, spelt, buckwheat, or oat flour with good results.
- Simply use the batter along with your favorite waffle machine to make vegan squash waffles.
- Storage: Put the leftovers in a covered container place in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Reheat them in a pan or oven toaster until warmed before serving.
How to Make Kalabasa Pancakes:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- squash (the one I used for this recipe)
- cashew milk (or any plant based milk)
- brown sugar
- coconut milk
- ground flax seed
- all purpose flour
In a high-speed blender add squash, cashew milk, brown sugar, coconut milk, flax seed, cinnamon, salt and blend until smooth, about 40 seconds, then pour into a large bowl. Gradually add the flour while whisking, until it becomes similar to pancake batter. Be careful to not over mix:
Heat a pan on medium heat with some oil or butter, and pour in about ⅛ cup of mixture. After about 25-30 seconds, check if it’s golden brown, then flip. Repeat until all pancakes are cooked:
Garnish with your choice of sweetener, fruits, or syrup. Best served with a glass of plant-based milk. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Squash, plant-based milk and ground flax seeds are just few of the ingredients that makes these pancakes healthy and vegan-friendly.
Yes, you can. You may use pumpkin for squash, too.
No. Kalabasa or squash is under the genus Cucurbita moschata or Cucurbita maxima while pumpkin, on the other hand, is Cucurbita pepo.
- 1 cup squash cut into wedges
- 1 cup cashew milk or any plant based milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- In a high speed blender add squash, cashew milk, coconut milk, brown sugar, flax seed, cinnamon, salt and blend until smooth, about 40 seconds, then pour into a large bowl.
- Gradually add the flour while whisking, until it becomes similar to pancake batter. Be careful to not overmix.
- Heat a pan on medium heat with some oil or butter, and pour in about ⅛ cup of mixture. After about 25-30 seconds, check if it’s golden brown, then flip. Repeat until all pancakes are cooked
- Garnish with your choice of sweetener, fruits, or syrup.
- Best served with a glass of plant based milk.