Here’s a rich, creamy, and delicious vegan caramelized onion dip made of cashew sour cream that perfectly blends with naturally sweet caramelized onions and garlic. Try making this simple appetizer in the comfort of your own home and enjoy it with vegan chips, bread, or fresh veggies!
What is Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip?
This Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip is a simple, dairy-free, and flavor-packed appetizer that is great to serve for parties, special occasions, holidays, or BBQ nights. It’s a perfect blend of caramelized onions, garlic, and cashew sour cream made of soaked cashews, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast, then seasoned with salt and ground pepper.
It tastes sweet, creamy, and tangy, making a delicious dip for chips, fresh veggies, crackers, toasted bread, baked potatoes, and pita bread. You can also enjoy this vegan onion dip as a spread for burgers, wraps, and sandwiches, and as a dip for potato wedges.
This healthy and creamy appetizer is a perfect treat for vegans who missed onion dip. It’s one of those perfect vegan appetizers that will impress everyone. It’s super easy to prepare and a convenient make-ahead recipe for parties. Check this out!
Health Benefits of Onions:
- Packed with nutrients.
- Boosts digestive health.
- Lowers the risk of cancer.
- An excellent source of antioxidants.
- Aids in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Prevents osteoporosis and boosts bone density.
- Helps reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
Tips and Procedures:
- Don’t skip soaking the cashews and letting the dip rest for the best results.
- You may use a food processor or high-speed blender to mix the ingredients well.
- Feel free to add a splash or tablespoon of water or vegetable broth at a time, or as needed, to prevent the onions from burning and sticking to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat if necessary so the sliced onions don’t brown too quickly.
- You may use a store-bought vegan sour cream or a homemade tofu-based sour cream made of silken tofu and vegan mayonnaise.
- Give the dip a good stir and adjust the seasoning with lemon juice and salt as desired before serving. You may top it with the reserved onions, chives, sesame seeds, or black pepper if desired.
- Storage: Cover in an air-tight container and chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight to thicken. Keep covered in the fridge until ready to serve or up to 3 days.
How to Make Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- cashew pieces
- yellow onion
- neutral oil
- lemon juice
- nutritional yeast
- ground pepper
Soak cashews in cold water in the fridge overnight. Drain:
Slice onion into quarter-circles ⅛th”/3mm thick (or as thin as you can). Then, heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add onion. Cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent and very soft. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Next, add the minced garlic to the pan and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the onions are well browned and soft. Then, add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of water to the pan and stir to collect the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat:
Blend cashews with lemon juice and 2 tbsp/15 ml water on medium power until mostly smooth. Then, scrape down the sides as needed.
Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the blender and continue blending until very smooth:
Add half the onion mixture to the cashew mix. Blend until the onions are in very small bits, adding 1 tbsp/15ml water at a time as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Add the remaining onion mixture and pulse just to blend the onions in. Cover and chill until ready to serve (best if it rests for at least 1 hour). Keep covered in the fridge for 3 days:
Garnish just before serving. Bon Appetit!!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes, it is made of plant-based, dairy-free cream cheese, beautifully caramelized onions, and savory spices.
It is made of a delicious blend of vegan sour cream, caramelized onions, and garlic, salt, and ground pepper.
You can eat it with chips, crackers, crusty bread, veggie salads, burgers, sandwiches, and more!
Vegan Caramelized Onion Dip
- ¾ cup cashew pieces soaked overnight
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Soak cashews in cold water in the fridge overnight. Drain.
- Slice onion into quarter-circles ⅛th”/3mm thick (or as thin as you can).
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add onion. Cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes until onions are translucent and very soft.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 5 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add minced garlic to pan. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until onions are well browned and soft. Add 1 tbsp/15ml water to pan and stir to collect the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Blend cashews with lemon juice and 2 tbsp/15ml water on medium power until mostly smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the blender and continue blending until very smooth.
- Add half the onion mixture to the cashew mix. Blend until the onions are in very small bits, adding 1 tbsp/15ml water at a time as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the remaining onion mixture and pulse just to blend the onions in.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve (best if it rests for at least 1 hour). Keep covered in the fridge for 3 days.