Have a healthy and delicious meal with this easy Filipino side dish recipe – Talbos ng Kamote Salad! Try and enjoy a sweet and tangy sweet potato leaves salad with vinaigrette dressing for a nutritious lunch or dinner!
What is Talbos Ng Kamote Salad?
This Talbos ng Kamote Salad (Sweet Potato Leaves Salad), also known as Ensaladang Talbos ng Kamote is a quick and easy Filipino salad recipe made of poached sweet potato leaves, tomato, ginger, and red onion with a vinaigrette dressing. It’s a budget-friendly vegetable side dish recipe that is great to pair with rice, grilled meat, and fried fish. It’s perfect for a nutritious and delicious vegetarian vegan lunch or dinner with family. Try this simple camote tops salad and have a fresh and healthy meal!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato Leaves:
- Boosts the immune system.
- Aids in treating prostate cancer.
- It possesses antioxidant properties.
- Promotes healthy bowel movement.
- Protects the heart by acting as an anticoagulant.
- Lowers the blood sugar levels in type II diabetes.
Tips and Procedures:
- Adding a couple of chopped chilies will give a nice twist to the camote tops salad.
- You can also use coconut vinegar, sugar cane vinegar, or lemon juice instead of regular white vinegar.
- You may blanch or steam the sweet potato leaves for 1-2 minutes or until wilted, then plunge them into ice water for a few seconds to stop the cooking process, then drain.
- For non-vegans, you may use fish sauce for the dressing or add chopped salted eggs for a savory flavor.
- Storage: Keep the vegetables and the dressing separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days to maintain the best texture.
How to Make Talbos Ng Kamote Salad:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- talbos ng kamote (leaves only)
- red onions
- white vinegar
- granulated white sugar
- ground black pepper
Place water in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Add in the talbos ng kamote and poach for 2 minutes until wilted. Strain and transfer the leaves into a serving bowl:
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well:
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
It’s a Filipino vegetable salad made of steamed or poached sweet potato leaves with tomatoes and fermented fish sauce.
Yes, sweet potato leaves taste a bit bitter when raw, but when cooked, the leaves taste similar to spinach and water spinach with a mild and delicately sweet flavor.
Definitely yes, but choose the fresh sweet potato leaves and soft stems only. You may eat them raw or slightly cooked.
Talbos Ng Kamote Salad
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups talbos ng kamote (leaves only) sweet potato leaves?
- ½ cup tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger diced
- ¼ cup red onions sliced
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspons granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add water to a sauce pan and place over medium high heat and bring water to a simmer.
- Add leaves and poach for 2 minutes or until wilted. Strain and transfer the leaves into a serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve immediately.