Have a healthy and delicious meal with this easy Filipino side dish recipe – Talbos ng Kamote Salad! Try and enjoy a sweet and tangy sweet potato leaves salad with vinaigrette dressing for a nutritious lunch or dinner!
Looking for more healthy Filipino dishes? Try my Filipino Style Spinach, Mango Salad, or Asian Cucumber Salad.
What is Talbos Ng Kamote Salad?
This Talbos ng Kamote Salad (Sweet Potato Leaves Salad), also known as Ensaladang Talbos ng Kamote is a quick and easy Filipino salad recipe made of poached sweet potato leaves, tomato, ginger, and red onion with a vinaigrette dressing.
It’s a budget-friendly vegetable side dish recipe that is great to pair with rice, grilled meat, and fried fish. It’s perfect for a nutritious and delicious vegetarian vegan lunch or dinner with family. Try this simple camote top salad and have a fresh and healthy meal!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potato Leaves:
- Boosts the immune system.
- Aids in treating prostate cancer.
- It possesses antioxidant properties.
- Promotes healthy bowel movement.
- Protects the heart by acting as an anticoagulant.
- Lowers the blood sugar levels in type II diabetes.
Tips and Procedures:
- Adding a couple of chopped chilies will give a nice twist to the camote tops salad.
- You can also use coconut vinegar, sugar cane vinegar, or lemon juice instead of regular white vinegar.
- You may blanch or steam the sweet potato leaves for 1-2 minutes or until wilted, then plunge them into ice water for a few seconds to stop the cooking process, then drain.
- For non-vegans, you may use fish sauce for the dressing or add chopped salted eggs for a savory flavor.
- Storage: Keep the vegetables and the dressing separately in the refrigerator for up to 3 days to maintain the best texture.
How to Make Talbos Ng Kamote Salad:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- talbos ng kamote (sweet potato leaves)
- red onions
- white vinegar
- granulated white sugar
- ground black pepper
Place water in a saucepan and bring it to a simmer. Add in the talbos ng kamote and poach for 2 minutes until wilted. Strain and transfer the leaves into a serving bowl:
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well:
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
It’s a Filipino vegetable salad made of steamed or poached sweet potato leaves with tomatoes and fermented fish sauce.
Yes, sweet potato leaves taste a bit bitter when raw, but when cooked, the leaves taste similar to spinach and water spinach with a mild and delicately sweet flavor.
Definitely yes, but choose the fresh sweet potato leaves and soft stems only. You may eat them raw or slightly cooked.
Talbos Ng Kamote Salad
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups talbos ng kamote (leaves only) sweet potato leaves?
- ½ cup tomatoes sliced
- 2 tablespoons ginger diced
- ¼ cup red onions sliced
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspons granulated white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add water to a sauce pan and place over medium high heat and bring water to a simmer.
- Add leaves and poach for 2 minutes or until wilted. Strain and transfer the leaves into a serving bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply