Embark on a delightful culinary journey with this easy Filipino Taco Bowl recipe, a symphony of flavors that promises to excite your taste buds while keeping your conscience free. Try this simple vegan recipe for a savory and healthy meal in a bowl!
What is a Filipino Taco Bowl?
This Filipino Taco Bowl is a plant-based salad bowl recipe made of sautéed diced tofu, kangkong (water spinach), and spices, then assembled with steamed rice, black beans, corn kernels, peppers, and lemon wedges in a bowl. It’s a delightful dish that offers a delectable medley of plant-based ingredients that honors Filipino and Mexican cultures.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of making this flavorful dish, learning the secrets behind its savory charm and the health benefits it provides. Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or just a foodie on the go, this recipe guarantees a burst of flavors that balance tradition and innovation.
Let’s explore the world of culinary creativity with this Vegan Filipino Taco Salad Bowl. Prepare to have your taste buds tantalized and your body nourished with this wonderful creation!
Health Benefits of Kangkong:
- Boosts the immune system.
- Promotes heart, bone, and blood health.
- Loaded with essential vitamins and minerals.
- Low in calories, which aids weight management.
- High in dietary fiber that promotes digestive health.
Tips and Procedures:
Preparation and Assembly:
- Chop and Dice: Cut and dice your fresh vegetables precisely to ensure uniform size and a balanced bite in every forkful.
- Prepare the Greens: Wash the greens thoroughly and dry them if necessary.
- Organized Setup: Arrange all of your ingredients in an orderly way to simplify assembly.
Seasoning and Dressing:
- Seasoning Distribution: Mix the seasonings evenly to cover all components of the salad.
- Drizzle with Care: You can add vegan sour cream and salsa to this recipe and sprinkle evenly around the bowl for a balanced flavor.
Serving and Storage:
- Aesthetic Arrangement: Present your Vegan Filipino Taco Salad Bowl with style. For visual appeal, layer ingredients or arrange them creatively.
- Freshness Matters: It is best to serve the salad immediately after assembling to keep the ingredients fresh and crunchy.
- Garnish Gracefully: Top with fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley, avocado, cucumber, and tomato slices for added appeal.
- Storage: You can place the meal prep in a microwave-safe container so that it can be easily reheated. It can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
How to Make a Filipino Taco Bowl:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- olive oil
- firm tofu
- sweet onions
- chopped kangkong
- dark soy sauce
- light soy sauce
- red chili flakes
- ground black pepper
- cooked white rice
- canned sweet corn kernels
- canned black beans
- red onions
- red bell pepper
- green bell pepper
Add oil to a heated skillet over medium heat and fry the diced tofu until crisp on all sides. Toss sweet onions and minced garlic; sauté for a minute.
Add in the chopped kangkong, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and red chili flakes. Mix well and continue cooking for another 2 minutes until the kangkong has wilted.
Season with salt and ground black pepper. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate.
Divide and assemble all the components of the meal prep taco bowl, including the sautéed kangkong and tofu:
Store in the refrigerator. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
A taco bowl is a deconstructed taco that is served over a bowl of rice with all of your favorite taco filler ingredients, including protein, cheese, corn, black beans, lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
Taco bowls originated in the USA, where tacups (tacos in cups) were served in a restaurant called Casa de Fritos. When tacup got popular enough, people wanted to make it bigger, and thus the taco salad, served in a full, main-dish-sized bowl, was created.
A taco bowl is a larger version of tacups, which were invented by Elmer Doolin, the founder of Fritos.
Filipino Taco Bowl
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup firm tofu pressed and cut into small dice
- ¼ cup sweet onions sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chopped kangkong
- ⅛ cup dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup canned sweet corn kernels drained
- ½ cup canned black beans
- ¼ cup red onions finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ lemon sliced in half
- Add oil to a heated skillet over medium heat and fry the diced tofu until crisp on all sides.
- Toss sweet onions and minced garlic; sauté for a minute.
- Add in the chopped kangkong, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and red chili flakes. Mix well and continue cooking for another 2 minutes until the kangkong has wilted.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Remove from the skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Divide and assemble all the components of the meal prep taco bowl, including the sautéed kangkong and tofu.
- Store in the refrigerator. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.