Try this easy Jackfruit Humba recipe- a great healthy dish to serve for your family lunch or dinner! It’s a vegan Filipino dish that is made with a delicious combination of young jackfruit, black beans, crushed pineapples, and flavorful seasonings which makes an appetizing treat!
Looking for more Filipino dishes? Try my Easy Laing (Dried Taro Leaves in Coconut Milk), Filipino Chop Suey, or my Delicious Empanada!
What is Jackfruit Humba?
Jackfruit Humba is my vegan take on Filipinos’ favorite humba recipe – a Filipino stew originating from the Visayas Islands of the Philippines. It is traditionally made of liempo or pork belly slow-cooked in soy sauce, vinegar, black peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, and fermented black beans (tausi) sweetened with muscovado sugar.
Humba is derived from the Chinese red braised pork belly “hong-bah / hong-mah” which means ‘roast meat’. It is usually served during family gatherings, celebrations, or special occasions.
In this vegan recipe, I used young jackfruit as the meat alternative, mixed with black beans, crushed pineapples, brown sugar, white vinegar, flavorful sauce, and spices. It makes a little sour, sweet, and pleasantly salty dish that pairs well with steamed rice.
This jackfruit recipe is definitely another way to enjoy jackfruit as a side dish or main entree during lunch or dinner. It is easy to cook, budget-friendly, super healthy, and tasty. No wonder if this will become one of your favorite recipes for parties or even just for ordinary days!
Health Benefits of Jackfruit:
- Helps in healing cancer
- Weight loss agent
- Reducer blood pressure
- Improves digestion
- Helps in healing insomnia
- Diabetes friendly
- It maintains healthy eye and skin
- Helps in treating ulcer
- Supports the bone
- Boosts nerve system booster
Tips and Procedures:
- You may use frozen or canned ready-to-cook jackfruit but it is always best to use fresh unripe jackfruit in this recipe.
- Feel free to add banana blossoms in this recipe.
- For non-vegans: you may add hard boiled egg and chicken in this dish
- Storage: Place the leftovers in a container with lid and refrigerate for up to 3 months.
How to Make Jackfruit Humba:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- canned young jackfruit
- garlic cloves
- sweet onions
- canned salted black beans
- vegetable broth or water
- canned crushed pineapples with syrup
- brown sugar
- white vinegar
- soy sauce
- mushroom oyster sauce
- dried bay leaves
- ground black pepper
- yellow bell pepper
- spring onions
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil and fry the jackfruit for 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and add all the remaining ingredients except for the spring onions. Stir the mixture well, then bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer:
Simmer for 30 minutes and season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Then, transfer the jackfruit humba into a serving bowl and garnish with green onions:
Frequently Asked Questions:
They are almost the same but the difference is that humba is sweeter than adobo and it has fermented black beans which give a pungent taste to the dish.
Jackfruit become a popular meat substitute because of its texture that is stringy and tender, like shredded chicken or pork. It also has a neutral flavor so it can take on whatever seasoning or sauce you use.
Yes, because it is high in fiber which helps improve digestion and metabolism that can result to weight loss.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups (6 oz) canned young jackfruit
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ cup sweet onions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup canned salted black beans
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapples with the liquid
- ¼ cup yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster mushroom sauce
- 2 pieces dried bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ cup chopped green onions
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add oil and fry the jackfruit for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add all the remaining ingredients except for the spring onions.
- Stir the mixture well, cover then bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer with the lid for 30 minutes and season with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the jackfruit humba into a serving bowl and garnish with green onions and serve with steamed rice.
Leave a Reply