This Veggie Chicken Inasal tastes like the real thing without the cholesterol! Without losing the flavors, you will remember the delicious and authentic Chicken Inasal before you became vegan.
What is Chicken Inasal?
Chicken Inasal is barbecued or grilled chicken, the Filipino way. You can find Chicken Inasal anywhere in the Philippines since it’s such a popular dish.
What makes this recipe so unique is the marinade- vinegar, calamansi juice and other notable ingredients like ginger and peppercorn.
Tips on How to Make Veggie Chicken Inasal:
- If you want it a spicy version of the Veggie Chicken Inasal, you can add minced chili, cayenne pepper or more ground black pepper to the marinade.
- Use fresh lemongrass as a basting brush for your Veggie Chicken Inasal to add more flavor! Tie a bunch of fresh lemongrasses, dip in the marinade then and use it as a brush!
- Make your own annatto oil by steeping the seeds in a container with vegetable oil. The color from the seeds will gradually transfer to the vegetable oil which you can use for several dishes.
How to Make Veggie Chicken Inasal:
These are the ingredients that you will need:
- veggie duck protein meat
- red onion
- brown sugar
- coconut vinegar
- soy sauce
- olive oil
In a medium-sized bowl, add the veggie chicken to the bowl. Then add garlic, onion, ginger, peppercorn, brown sugar, coconut vinegar, soy sauce, and mix until well combined. Marinate for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour:
Remove veggie chicken from the marinade mixture, then thread the chicken onto the wooden skewers and set aside:
Next, add oil to the marinade mixture and mix until well combined:
Heat grill to medium-high and grease lightly with oil.
Place veggie chicken inasal on grill and brush it with the marinade mixture:
Continually brushing the veggie chicken inasal with the marinade mixture, while grilling the veggie chicken inasal for about 10-15 minutes or until it turns into a dark reddish-brown:
The veggie chicken inasal is best eaten with steamed white rice and dipping sauce. But since I was born in the US, I love eating this with ketchup. 😀
Frequently Asked Questions for the Veggie Chicken Inasal Recipe:
Q: How do you make annatto oil for inasal?
A: There are two ways that I do when making annatto oil. The first way is just to let oil “boil” in a pan and put the annatto seeds and let it simmer until the color from the seeds is released. The oil then becomes reddish and ready to use for different recipes. The second way is to steep the annatto seeds in a container with oil. It is a slower method but works the same way as the first procedure.
Q: How long should the veggie meat for chicken inasal be marinated?
A: You can marinate it for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Q: How do you eat vegan chicken inasal?
A: You can eat it straight from the skewer or eat it with steamed rice.
Q: What does inasal mean?
A: Inasal, in the Filipino language, means “to roast in charcoal”.
Q: Are achiote, atsuete and annatto seeds the same?
A: Yes, annatto seeds are commonly called atsuete or achiote seeds in the Philippines.
Looking for more Filipino Authentic Recipes? Try these ones:
And here are my favorite Filipino Desserts:
Vegan Chicken Inasal
- 150 grams veggie duck protein meat sliced in half
- 1 whole garlic minced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup organic coconut vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the veggie chicken to the bowl. Next add garlic, onion, ginger, peppercorn, brown sugar, coconut vinegar, soy sauce, and mix until well combined. Marinate for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove veggie chicken from the marinade mixture, then thread the chicken onto the wooden skewers and set aside.
- Next, add oil to the marinade mixture and mix until well combined.
- Heat grill to medium-high and grease lightly with oil. Or if using a charcoal griller, prepare accordingly & add a small amount of charcoal, too much charcoal might burn the meat.
- Place veggie chicken inasal on grill and brush it with the marinade mixture.
- Continually brushing the veggie chicken inasal with the marinade mixture, while grilling the veggie chicken inasal for about 10-15 minutes or until it turns into a dark reddish-brown.
- Best served immediately.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!