Start your day with a simple, healthy, and delicious Filipino breakfast recipe made with pan-fried eggplants and an egg mixture. Serve this with steamed rice and a sweet or savory sauce of your choice!
Looking for more Filipino Breakfast? Try my Filipino Vegan Tocino (Vegan Bacon), Vegan Corned Beef Hash, or my heartwarming Congee (Arroz Caldo)!
What is Tortang Talong?
Tortang Talong, also called tortalong or torta talong, is an easy Filipino dish that is made with grilled whole eggplants, then peeled and pan-fried with an egg, flour, and spice mixture. The word talong means “eggplant” and torta means “omelette” or “flat cake” which being combined makes “eggplant omelette“.
This easy eggplant recipe is a delicious way of using any leftover grilled eggplant and is a go-to recipe for Filipino families because it’s quick and easy to cook.
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to precook the eggplants in a charcoal grill, baking pan, or over a direct flame while wrapped in aluminum foil.
- Grilling gives the eggplant a characteristic of a smoky flavor but you may opt to just boil them for a softer version.
- Serve this dish with a dipping sauce like soy sauce, calamansi or vinegar, and banana ketchup to make it more delicious.
- You may remove the stalk and puree the eggplant before mixing it with the omelette.
- For a vegan version, Just Egg (my favorite to use), use squash, flour, and tofu as an egg substitute.
- Storage: It’s best eaten fresh, but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To warm up, simply microwave for 1 minute.
How to Make Tortang Talong:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- red onions
- vegetable oil
Grill eggplant until the color of the skin turns almost black. Allow the eggplants to cool, then peel off the skin and set aside.
In a medium bowl, add egg, flour, a pinch of salt, and pepper and mix until well combined:
Then mix in the tomatoes and onions. Next, add eggplant and flatten the eggplant using a fork, allowing the egg mixture to absorb into the eggplant:
Preheat the pan to medium then fry the eggplant until it turns golden brown on both sides:
Best served with steamed rice. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
It originated from the Philippines with alternative names like “tortalong” or “torta talong” and is usually served as a main course or side dish.
Eggplant has health benefits, but it is advisable to consult your doctor first before consumption especially if you have food allergies.
Yes, eggplant is an excellent addition to any weight loss regimen because it is high in fiber and low in calories.
Easy Tortang Talong
- 2 medium eggplants grilled and peeled
- 1 egg or Just Egg
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1 medium tomato minced
- ¼ cup red onions minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Grill eggplant until the color of the skin turns almost black
- Allow the eggplants to cool, then peel off the skin and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add egg, flour, a pinch of salt and peppe and mix until it's well combined.
- Then mix in the tomatoes, onions.
- Next add eggplant and flatten eggplant using a fork, allowing the egg mixture to absorb into eggplant.
- Preheat the pan over medium then fry eggplant until it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Best served with steamed rice.
Leave a Reply