Enjoy these delicious and easy-to-make Fishless Cakes! Paired with everyone’s favorite dipping sauce- its definitely a healthy, hearty, and tasty Filipino dish that is worth the try!
What is Fishless Cake?
This easy Fishless Cake recipe is a Filipino appetizer or snack that is made with chopped banana hearts mixed with batter and coated with breadcrumbs. It’s a simple deep-fry recipe that needs easy-to-find ingredients only.
Traditionally, fish cakes are made with chopped or minced fish mixed with potato, egg, and flour mixed with seasonings and herbs. It is a delicious and easy way of using up leftover fish and potatoes instead of throwing them.
In this fishless version, I used the banana blossom, also known as a “banana heart”, which has a chunky, flaky texture making it an ideal substitute for fish. It is almost similar to artichoke hearts that are surrounded by edible bracts.
These banana heart patties are versatile, packed with flavour, budget-friendly, and perfect for potlucks, picnics, or any gathering. Feel free to serve this with vegan mayo, a squeeze of lemon juice, or a dipping sauce of your choice. Give this a try!
Health Benefits of Banana Hearts:
- Aids in weight loss
- Prevents neural disorder
- Supports menstrual health
- Lowers high blood pressure
- Promotes kidney and digestive healthy
- Helps treat diabetes, cancer, and heart diseases
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to use any flour of your choice or mashed potato as the binder.
- Add more flour if the mixture is too wet. It will help shape the cakes and hold them up better.
- Alternatively, the canned banana hearts or blossoms can be used if fresh ones are not available.
- Make sure to squeeze or drain excess liquid from the chopped banana hearts before cooking.
- Avoid making sudden changes in the heat temperature while cooking because it can cause the cakes to absorb oil.
- You may add mashed extra firm tofu and seaweed powder or nori sheet to this recipe for a fish-like flavor.
- Feel free to use some ground oatmeal or even some desiccated coconut to coat the cakes if you are looking for a gluten-free alternative.
- Storage: Place the leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for a couple of days. Reheat before serving.
How to Make Fishless Cake:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- banana hearts (dried banana hearts works too)
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- ground white pepper
In a heated skillet over medium heat, add two tablespoons of oil and saute chopped banana hearts for 2 minutes while stirring constantly. Season with salt and transfer to a large mixing bowl; set aside:
Add the flour, milk, egg, baking powder, and ground white pepper, and mix well until it forms a rough dough. Divide the mixture into a quarter cup size and form into little cakes; transfer to a baking sheet:
Dredge the vegan fish cakes in the breadcrumbs. In the same skillet, add the rest of the oil and heat until hot then fry the breaded fish cakes until golden:
Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
You can find them at your local Asian Markets in the produce aisle, in the canned vegetable aisle, or in the dried vegetable aisle.
Yes, just replace the egg with a mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2 and a half tablespoons of water then let it stand for 10 to 15 minutes until it looks a bit thick or sticky.
Yes, you may use some ground oatmeal or desiccated coconut to coat the patties or just cook it even without any coating.
Yes, of course, just like what I did in this recipe. I just used the all-purpose flour as a binder for this dish.
Easy Fishless Cakes
- ½ cup vegetable oil divided
- 2 cups chopped banana hearts
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- In a heated skillet over medium heat, add two tablespoons of oil and saute chopped banana hearts for 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Season with salt and transfer to a large bowl; set aside.
- Add the flour, milk, egg, baking powder, ground white pepper, and mix well until it forms a rough dough.
- Divide the mixture into a quarter cup size and form into little cakes; transfer to a baking sheet.
- Dredge the vegan fish cakes in the breadcrumbs.
- In the same skillet, add the rest of the oil and heat until hot then fry the breaded fish cakes until golden.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve immediately.