These easy and delicious vegan buns stuffed with lentils are great to eat for a picnic or a meal prep meal.
Health benefits of lentils
- Lentils are high in fiber and is great for the digestive system
- Supports regular bowel movement
- It contains a wide range of healthy plant compounds, also known as phytochemicals which protect the human body against various diseases.
- Great source of vitamins like the B vitamins
- A delicious source of plant-based protein
Tips and Variations:
- This is a great alternative to your usual Sloppy Joes. For a more protein-packed stuffing, you can add diced mushrooms.
- There are several kinds of lentils: red, black, and brown lentils. You can use either of those kinds for this recipe.
- If you love to increase the spiciness of the lentil stuffing, add some diced bell pepper and also increase the amount of black pepper.
- Are you fond of planting herbs in your garden? You can add any fresh herbs that you love to use in cooking.
- Did you know that you can actually steam the buns stuffed with lentils instead of frying? Yes, you can do that!
How to Make Buns Stuffed with Lentils:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
For the Lentil shawarma
- lemon juice
- soy sauce
- tomato purée
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- cayenne pepper
- ground cloves
- black pepper
- garlic cloves
For the pita
- self-raising flour
- hot water
- sunflower oil
In a big bowl, combine flour, hot water, oil, and salt:
Cover with a kitchen towel and leave on the side while you prepare the shawarma:
Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat with oil. Cook onion and garlic until tender then add spices and cook for another 10 seconds:
Pour soy sauce and tomato purée:
Mix then add lentils. Cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool down:
Now, let’s prepare the stuffed pita. Flour your working space. Divide dough into 6 balls. Press each ball with your hand:
Divide lentils into 6 portions and add on each dough:
Close dough by bringing the side to the middle and press again with your hand to form the pita. It must be about 12 cm in diameter:
Heat a clean non-stick pan on medium heat. Brush one side of the stuffed pita with oil then fry in a pan until golden brown:
Brush the other side with oil before flipping to fry:
Serve stuffed pita warm or cold. I love it best when warm. It is one of my ultimate comfort food that is so easy to make!
Frequently Asked Questions for Buns Stuffed with Lentils:
Q: What can you use in place of lentils?
A: You can use mung beans, red beans, or any beans of your choice. These vegan pitas go well with almost all beans.
Q: Could this be made, wrapped, travel an hour, then be put into the oven to bake?
A: Yes, that is possible. Just make sure that it doesn’t touch any moist surface and is kept in an airtight container to keep it from spoiling.
Q: How do you get the stuffing into the buns?
A: You just have to flatten the pita dough and place your cooked stuffing in the center and close the vegan pita bun.
Q: Can you freeze these after you are made and cooked?
A: Yes, for sure. After thawing, you can pop it in the microwave and serve warm.
More delicious recipes to try!
- Quick & Easy Pancit Bihon
- Fried Rice
- The Easiest Tofu Poke
- Tofu Scramble Recipe – Filipino Style
- Chickpea Buddha Bowl
Buns Stuffed with Lentils
- 1 cup / 154 g lentils
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- For the pita
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 1 /3 cup sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- In a big bowl, combine flour, hot water, oil and salt. Cover with a kitchen towel and leave on the side while you prepare the shawarma.
- Heat a non stick pan on medium heat with oil. Cook onion and garlic until tender then add spices and cook for another 10 seconds. Pour soy sauce and tomato purée. Mix then add lentils. Cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool down.
- Prepare stuffed pita. Floured your working space. Divide dough into 6 balls. Press each balls with your hand. Divide lentils in 6 portions and add on each dough. Close dough by bring the side to the middle and press again with your hand to form the pita. Must be about 12 cm diameter.
- Heat a clean non stick pan on medium heat. Brush one side of stuffed pita with oil then fry in pan until golden brown. Brush other side with oil before flipping to fry.
- Serve stuffed pita warm or cold.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Leave a Reply