Sweet potato juice is very nutritious drink made of sweet potato leaves, calamansi juice, and natural sweeteners! In the Philippines, this is commonly known as talbos ng kamote. The delicious combination of calamansi juice and the sweet potato leaves extract makes a wonderful drink which helps boost the immune system to ward off illnesses!
Health benefits for sweet potato leaves
- Can be a diet therapy for diabetes
- Contains Vitamin K that helps in de-calcifying the arteries of the heart
- Has lots of antioxidants and is known to reduce the mutation of cancer cells
- Helps in faster recovery from cuts and bruises as it is known to be an anticoagulant
- It has a high content of lutein and zeaxanthin that helps to prevent eye cataracts
Tips on How to Make Sweet Potato Juice:
- Always wash the sweet potato leaves before putting them into the boiling water.
- If you have honey at home, you can replace the sugar with a healthier option and that is honey.
- Instead of just adding calamansi juice, you can also squeeze in a lemon. You will love the different layers of citrus fruits in your drink!
How to Make Sweet Potato Juice:
These are the ingredients that you will need:
- red sweet potato leaves
- calamansi juice (removed seeds)
- refined sugar
Here is a close-up of the sweet potato leaves:
In a pot over high heat, bring to a boil 6 cups of water:
Then add the red sweet potato leaves:
Let it boil rapidly for 5 minutes, then remove the leaves:
Strain the potato leaves water in a large bowl or cup:
In another bowl, dilute ½ cup HOT sweet potato leaves the water with sugar.
In a pitcher or glass, add ice cubes:
Next add calamansi juice, sweet potato water, sugar water, and mix until well combined:
Notice as you pour the water the color of the water turns pinkish-red:
Add lemon for garnish and serve immediately:
Enjoy this super healthy cooling drink with your favorite Filipino dessert!
Frequently Asked Questions for the Sweet Potato Juice Recipe:
Q: Are sweet potato leaves healthy?
A: Yes! They contain a lot of nutrients that help the body with many health concerns.
Q: Is this good for high blood pressure?
A: It is helpful in the proper blood flow as it has an anticoagulant property.
Q: Can children drink this sweet potato juice?
A: Yes, for sure. They would love the delicious taste and it is very healthy for children.
More delicious beverage and smoothie recipes:
- Cantaloupe Juice
- Papaya Banana Smoothie
- Jackfruit Smoothie
- Malunggay Pineapple Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Sweet Potato Juice
Sweet potato juice is a cooling, pretty, and very nutritious drink made of sweet potato leaves, calamansi juice and natural sweeteners!
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
- 6 cups water
- 1 bunch or 5 to 6 cups, red sweet potato leaves
- 1/3 cup calamansi juice (removed seeds)
- 1/4 cup refined sugar
- 1 lemon, garnish
- In a pot over high heat, bring to a boil 6 cups of water. Then add the red sweet potato leaves and boil the leaves for 5 minutes, then remove the leaves.
- Strain the potato leaves water in a large bowl or cup.
- In another bowl, dilute ½ cup HOT potato leaves water with sugar.
- In a pitcher, add ice cube (if serving immediately, if not skip this step).
- Next add calamansi juice, sweet potato water, sugar water, and mix until well combined. Notice as you pour the water the color of the water turns pinking red
- Add lemon for garnish and serve immediately
Keywords: sweet potato juice
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!