Have a bite of this delicious Tofu Scramble with a Filipino flair! It’s fluffy, filling, and full of soy protein from the tofu. This is a great alternative to scrambled eggs without all the cholesterol.
Hi Simply Bakers!
There are so many versions of Scrambled Tofu out there and I wanted to share my take on this recipe but with a Filipino flair to it.
What makes this Scrambled tofu different from others?
We cooked it the Filipino Style way by sauteing the onions first. 🙂 I know, I know, that’s normal for some people, but if you check out all my Filipino recipes, it usually starts out with sauteeing the onions and garlic.
Anyways, give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments what’s your favorite way to eat tofu scramble.
Health Benefits of Tofu
- A great source of healthy protein
- Good source of vitamins and amino acids
- A filling alternative to meat
- Great source of minerals like manganese, zinc, and copper
- Soy protein lowers bad cholesterol
- Aids in minimizing menopausal pain in women
Tips on How to Make Tofu Scramble:
- If you do not have black salt, you can use mushroom seasoning. You can find this at your local Asian market or Trader Joes. Keep in mind, black salt gives the eggy flavor.
- When sauteing the ingredients, you may use olive oil. Just be careful to saute quickly since olive oil tends to burn quickly than other kinds of oils.
- Before frying or sauteing your tofu, make sure the tofu is dry to avoid too much splattering of oil or burning yourself. To remove the water, simply wrap the tofu with a paper towel, place tofu on one hand, and press down onto the tofu release the water. Or buy a tofu presser .
- If you are a burrito or tortilla lover, you can make this tofu scramble as filling.
How to Make Tofu Scramble:
These are the ingredients that you will need:
- unrefined coconut oil or olive oil
- red onion
- firm tofu
- paprika powder
- turmeric powder
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- cashew powder (milled) or vegan parmesan (homemade recipe)
- black salt
Preheat pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. Saute onions and tomatoes until onions are translucent:
Add mashed tofu, mix until combined then allow it to simmer for 5 minutes:
Lower the heat and add paprika, turmeric powder, cumin, and black pepper:
Mix until tofu turns yellowish, just like so:
After a minute, add garlic powder and mix:
Next, add in cashew powder and mix:
Finally, add black salt this will give you an eggy savor:
Add sliced chives:
Best served immediately with bread or steamed rice.
Frequently Asked Questions for the Tofu Scramble Recipe:
Q: What makes Tofu Scramble yellow?
A: It is the turmeric powder that makes the tofu scramble yellow since turmeric has a natural yellow tinge to it.
Q: Does tofu scramble taste like eggs?
A: It almost has an egg-like taste due to the black salt and also the yellowish color from the turmeric makes it look like scrambled eggs.
Q: What kind of tofu should be used for tofu scramble?
A: The best tofu to be used is the firm tofu since it is easier to handle especially when slicing it.
Q: How do you reheat tofu scramble?
A: It’s best to reheat it in a microwave or slightly toss it on a nonstick pan with a little olive oil.
Love Tofu? Try these Filipino Tofu recipes:
Tofu Scramble Recipe – Filipino Style
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 blocks firm tofu 2 cups mashed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon milled cashew powder or vegan parmesan
- 1 tablespoon black salt
- Preheat pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. Saute onions and tomatoes until onions are translucent.
- Add mashed tofu, mix until combined then allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add paprika, turmeric powder, cumin, black pepper, and mix until tofu turns yellowish.
- After a minute, add garlic powder and mix.
- Next, add in cashew powder and mix.
- Finally, add black salt this will give you and eggy savor.
- Best served immediately with bread or steam rice.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!