This Vegan Chicken Afritada is a popular Filipino food made with stewed tomato sauce, vegetables, and packed with flavor. It’s great to eat on those cold days with steamed rice.
What is Chicken Afritada?
Chicken Afritada is a Filipino dish that is influenced by Spain and it was popularized and as years passed, as Filipinos developed and modified it. The flavors are similar to Kaldereta or Menudo and can be made with either beef, chicken, or pork.
But to make it vegan-friendly I used tofu without compromising the taste.
Tips and Tricks for Making This Vegan Chicken Afritada Recipe:
- Do not overcook your vegetables. A delicious Afritada has to have that crunch from the vegetables.
- Before frying your tofu for the Vegan Chicken Afritada, pat it dry after slicing. Patting it dry with a kitchen towel or paper towel will prevent oil splatters which can hurt and burn your skin.
- After frying the tofu, get rid of excess oil by placing them on a kitchen paper towel. It will absorb all the excess oils from the fried tofu.
- If you do not have coconut oil for sauteing the spices, you can use olive oil instead. Just remember that olive oil has a high smoke point so you have to be quick in sauteing and adjust the stove heat properly.
- If you are not in a hurry, you can fry your veggies separately. By doing so, you get that slightly crispy texture from your vegetables.
- Make sure to cut your vegetables evenly – not too small and not too big – just enough for them to get cooked faster and evenly.
How to Make this Vegan Chicken Afritada Recipe:
Here’s a quick overview of all the ingredients you will need:
- coconut oil
- firm tofu
- white onions
- red tomato
- green peas
- bell pepper
- tomato sauce
- brown sugar
- soy sauce
Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with oil, and fry tofu until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
In the same pan, sauté the minced garlic:
Next, add the onion until translucent:
Then add the tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent:
Add water and bring the water to a simmer:
Then add potatoes, and cover for 5-7 minutes or until it softens:
It is important to cover your pan so that the hot steam from the simmering liquid will help cook the vegetables faster:
Stir in carrots, green peas and cook for 2 minutes:
After that, you can now add the bell pepper and the tomato sauce and mix:
Add soy sauce to the ingredients:
Now, add the brown sugar and mix:
Cover and bring to a boil. This will take about a minute or two to boil:
Once it comes to a boil add tofu, salt, pepper, and mix:
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Do you see that lovely simmering dish? It makes me so excited to taste it!
This is a healthier version of the regular Chicken Afritada. You can eat this with steamed white rice or just as it is. This vegan dish is so delicious and satisfying! I am sure your family will love this!
Frequently Asked Questions for the Vegan Chicken Afritada:
Q: What is the taste of Afritada?
A: Afritada has a slightly sweet and sour taste to it. The sourness comes from the tomato sauce and the sweetness from the brown sugar and the vegetables like carrots.
Q: What does Afritada mean?
A: Afritada means that the meat in the dish is fried. The name of the recipes comes from the Spanish word “fritada” which means fried.
Q: Do the carrots and potatoes get done in 5-7 minutes?
A: Yes, they can get cooked in just 5 to 7 minutes because of their size and even size. Also, overcooked vegetables won’t taste good in an Afritada.
Q: Where do I buy tofu?
A: You can buy tofu in grocery stores and vegan specialty stores.
Here are more delicious Filipino Food to try:Print
This Vegan Filipino Chicken Afritada recipe is so easy to make and perfect for family meals and also a great way to make your kids eat their vegetables!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 servings 1x
- Cuisine: Filipino
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 300 grams firm tofu, medium size cubes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small white onions, chopped
- 1 small red tomato, cubed
- 1 cup of water
- 1 small potato, small wedged cut (300 g)
- 1 small carrot, cut small round wedge shape app. 300 Grams
- 200 grams, green peas
- 1 small, bell pepper( 150 grams), cubed
- 250 grams tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat a nonstick pan over medium heat with oil, and fry tofu until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté garlic, onion, tomato until translucent, aproximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and bring the water to a simmer, then add potatoes, and cover for 5-7 minutes or until it softens.
- Stir in carrots, green peas and cook for 2 minutes then add bell pepper, tomato sauce, and mix.
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil add tofu, salt, pepper, and mix.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!