This Vegan Filipino Spaghetti is a delicious take on the classic Italian dish. It’s sweet, creamy, and unlike any spaghetti, you’ve had before.
Filipino styled spaghetti is my FAVORITE pasta dish EVER. If you haven’t tried it, you are missing out. I’ve shared this dish with my friends at church, school, workplace, and everyone loves it!
Filipino Spaghetti is usually made with lots of meat so when I became vegetarian, I stopped eating it because most people cooked it with ground beef and beef hot dogs. And growing up, I wasn’t much of a cook and usually ate what was in front of me.
Fortunately one year, my family started to adopt the vegan vegetarian lifestyle and one of my aunties decided since all of us are now vegetarian, she would make Filipino Spaghetti vegan. I was ecstatic!
Throughout the years, I’ve tried so many different versions of this dish with different kinds of vegetarian meats. Here are my top 2 ground vegetarian meats and top 2 vegetarian hot dogs.
Ground Vegetarian Meat
Vegetarian Hot Dog
If you can’t get these, feel free to use whatever you have available.
Something to note, most Filipino Spaghetti recipes use condensed milk or banana ketchup as the key ingredients to make the spaghetti sweet. I decided to go without it so the recipe can stay vegan. 🙂
Tips and Tricks for Making This Vegan Filipino Spaghetti Recipe:
- If you love texture in every bite of the vegan Filipino spaghetti, you can fry crumbled tofu seasoned with and top it on the cooked spaghetti when you are ready to serve it.
- Spaghetti that is loaded with lots of cheese is definitely a delicious treat! After cooking, plate the vegan spaghetti and grate your favorite vegan cheddar cheese.
- If you don’t want to use coconut milk feel free to use evaporated milk. However, spaghetti will no longer be vegan.
How to Make this Vegan Filipino Spaghetti Recipe:
Gather the ingredients for this Vegan Filipino Spaghetti and once the ingredients are all ready, let’s begin!
- Coconut oil
For the Sauce:
- Coconut oil
- Vegetarian ground protein
- Vegetarian hot dog
- Spaghetti Filipino sauce
- Tomato paste
- Coconut cream
- Brown sugar
In a pot over medium heat, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil:
Add 1 tablespoon of oil, salt and cook the spaghetti according to package’s direction or for about 7 to 9 minutes or until firm to bite:
Drain well and set aside:
While letting the pasta drain, let’s start making the spaghetti sauce.
In a large saucepan heat oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until onions are translucent and the garlic is cooked:
Then add ground vegetarian protein, sliced hot and stirring occasionally cook for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned:
Next add the Filipino spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, coconut cream, and mix:
Allow the sauce to simmer for about 2 to 4 minutes, then add sugar, salt, and pepper:
To serve, spoon the spaghetti sauce over the spaghetti noodles:
Top it with vegan cheese and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions for the Vegan Filipino Spaghetti Recipe:
Q: What is the difference between the Filipino spaghetti and the other spaghetti recipes?
A: Filipino spaghetti is on the sweeter side since Filipinos love their food to be sweet. It’s either they put sugar or other sweet sauces like banana ketchup.
Q: What other milk can I use if I don’t have coconut milk?
A: You can use non-dairy milk as a replacement for the coconut milk.
Here are more delicious Filipino Food to try:
Vegan Filipino Spaghetti
- 3 Cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 250 grams of pasta
For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small size onion minced
- 6-7 cloves of garlic minced
- 80 grams vegetarian ground protein
- 150 grams vegetarian hot dog sliced into 3s
- 250 spaghetti Filipino sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup coconut cream*
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar**
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- In a pot over medium heat, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, salt and cook the spaghetti according to package's direction or for about 7 to 9 minutes or until firm to bite. Drain well and set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat oil.
- Then add ground vegetarian protein, sliced hot and stirring occasionally cook for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Next add the Filipino spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, coconut cream, and mix. Allow the sauce to simmer for about 2 to 4 minutes, then add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the spaghetti sauce over the spaghetti noodles and top with vegan cheese.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!