This Ice Scramble or Iskrambol is a fun and easy-to-make Filipino dessert made of shaved ice, sugar, condensed milk, and pineapple syrup! It’s a refreshing cup of sweet frozen treat that is so perfect to beat the summer heat!
What is Ice Scramble?
Ice Scramble or locally called as “Iskrambol” is a popular Filipino frozen dessert and one of the classic cold snacks or favorite Filipino street foods. It is believed to have originated in Iloilo, Philippines.
Its name was derived from the people’s way of eating it because the ingredients are stirred or “scrambled” using the included straw.
The classic Filipino-style ice scramble is made with shaved ice, banana extract, evaporated milk and sugar (or condensed milk) with a little amount of pink food coloring which makes it bright and attractive to kids! Then it’s topped with a variety of ingredients like marshmallows, pinipig (rice krispies), and milk powder.
They are traditionally sold in the streets outside elementary schools which becomes a favorite after-school dessert of the students and even adults. It’s definitely an ultimate childhood treat to any Filipino!
Tips & Variations:
- Use agave or cane sugar as an alternative if refined sugar is not available.
- Feel free to adjust the amount of the sweeteners according to your desired level of sweetness.
- If you opt to have a banana flavoured scramble, use 1 teaspoon of banana essence instead of pineapple syrup.
- Toppings options: Milk powder, pinipig (rice crispies), candy sprinkles, wafer sticks, tapioca pearls, strawberry syrup, chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Storage: Unfortunately, this delicious treat is best served immediately!
How to Make Filipino Street Ice Scramble:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- shredded ice
- concentrated pineapple syrup
- powdered milk
- refined sugar
- chocolate syrup
- condensed milk
- chocolate sprinkles
In a large bowl, add shredded ice, pineapple syrup, powdered milk, sugar and mix until well combined:
Then in a serving bowl or cup, add the ice mixture, drizzle chocolate syrup, condensed milk, and chocolate sprinkles and best serve immediately.:
Frequently Asked Questions:
No, but it’s best to use shredded ice because it gives the ice scramble a slushy texture.
If you have a large block of ice, you can use a knife and cut the ice starting with the corners. Or use a blender and and blend the ice, or wrap a handful of ice in tea towels and smash with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer.
- 2 cups shredded ice
- ½ cup concentrated pineapple syrup
- ½ cup powdered milk
- ¼ cup refined sugar
- ¼ cup chocolate syrup
- ⅓ cup condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sprinkles
- In a large bowl, add shredded ice, pineapple syrup, powdered milk, sugar and mix until well combined.
- Then in a serving bowl or cup, add the ice mixture, drizzle chocolate syrup, condensed milk, and chocolate sprinkles.
- Serve immediately.