This Maja Blanca recipe is a sweet and creamy Filipino dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is made with coconut milk, cornstarch, and sweet corn kernels which makes a delicious delicacy!
Looking for more classic Filipino desserts? Try my Easy Binignit, Mango Sago, and my favorite delicious Cassava Cake!
What is Maja Blanca?
Maja Blanca, also known as Coconut Pudding, is a luscious Filipino dessert mainly made of coconut milk, sweet corn kernel, and corn starch. It is believed that this dessert has a Spanish origin when the Philippines was still under the control of the Spanish Colonial Government. It was adapted from the traditional Spanish holiday referred to as manjar blanco, which means “white delicacy”.
This rich and creamy dessert has a custard-like texture with an off-white color and bits of yellow sweet corn. It is one of the delicious desserts that you can find in Filipino gatherings like parties, fiestas, or celebrations.
In this recipe, I added evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, unflavored gelatin for a thicker and creamier taste, with shredded coconut on top. This Filipino recipe is so easy to make, inexpensive, and great for any occasion!
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk:
- Prevents fatigue
- Rich in electrolytes
- Helps improve digestion
- Relieves constipation
- Assists in weight loss
- Builds muscle and helps reduce fat
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol
Tips and Procedures:
- Make sure to constantly stir the maja blanca mixture while cooking.
- Do not allow the coconut milk to come to a rapid boil to keep it from curdling and separating.
- It is best to use kakang gata or first fresh coconut milk extraction. If unavailable, you may use canned coconut milk.
- Feel free to use whole kernel corn or canned cream-style corn in this recipe.
- You may refrigerate this dessert for at least 1 hour or until firm before serving.
- Make sure that the mixture has a very thick consistency. Otherwise, it may not be set once you transfer it onto a pan.
- Topping options: golden latik topping, toasted coconut flakes, and grated cheese
- Storage: Place this dessert in an air-tight container and put it in the fridge that can last up to 3-4 days.
How to Make Maja Blanca:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- coconut milk
- evaporated milk
- sweetened condensed milk
- unflavored gelatin
- frozen corn
- shredded coconut
In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat, add coconut milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk and bring to a boil. Then, add in gelatin and cornstarch and stir well. The mixture will thicken up almost immediately.
Stir in frozen-thawed corn, then pour into an 8×8 non-stick pan and sprinkle coconut on it and allow it to set overnight:
Serve chilled and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Maja Blanca is a healthy recipe since it has coconut milk that helps our body build and maintain strong bones. It also has Vitamin C that boosts our immune system to defend us from health risks.
It could be that the mixture was not cooked properly. It should be boiled over steady medium heat to help everything cook through and make the cornstarch thicken. Also, the consistency was not very thick enough when it was transferred to the container.
Yes, feel free to freeze your maja blanca especially if you want it to set firmly.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups evaporated milk
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup cornstarch
- ½ cup frozen corn thawed
- ½ cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, add coconut milk, evaporated milk. and condensed milk and bing to a boil.
- Then add in gelatin and cornstarch and stir well. The mixture will thicken up almost immediately.
- Stir in frozen thawed corn, then pour into a buttered 8×8 inch pan and sprinkle shredded coconut on to it and allow it to set overnight in the fridge.
Happy New Year Bakers!
Thank you for all the support you have given me through the years. I am looking forward to sharing more delicious and easy recipes!
Leave a Reply