Try this quick and easy Vegetarian Ginisang Sayote recipe for a healthy family lunch or dinner. Simply stir-fry the sliced sayote and vegan luncheon meat with a savory mushroom oyster sauce and seasonings, then pair with warm steamed rice. Yum!
Looking for more easy vegetable dishes? Try Kaongkong with quail eggs, Ginataang Talong with Malunggay, or my Easy Ensaladang Talong!
What is Vegetarian Ginisang Sayote?
Vegetarian Ginisang Sayote (Vegetarian Sautéed Chayote) is a simple, delicious, and nutritious Filipino vegetable dish that is made of sliced chayote, vegan luncheon meat, savory sauces, and healthy seasonings. It’s so easy-to-cook, budget-friendly, and a great option for a vegan/vegetarian family lunch or dinner.
Sayote or chayote is technically a fruit but is consumed like a vegetable. It is an edible plant from the gourd family that is widely used in many cuisines. It is a common ingredient in Filipino recipes like soups, stews, or stir-fries that are packed with vitamins and minerals.
Health Benefits of Sayote:
- Aids weight loss
- Improves liver health
- Provides essential vitamins
- Reduces visible signs of aging.
- Promotes heart health
- Improves blood sugar control
- Supports a healthy pregnancy
- Good source of trace minerals
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to add tomatoes, carrots, and bell pepper to this dish if you like.
- Use fried tofu or mushrooms if vegan luncheon meat is not available.
- You may use gloves when peeling and cutting sayote because it has a sticky resin that can irritate the skin.
- To remove the stickiness of the sayote, slice off the top of it and rub it on the cut part of the chayote in a circular motion in a few seconds or until transparent sap/liquid turns into a white, foam-like consistency.
- You can enjoy this Filipino dish on its own or pair it with steamed rice and fried or grilled meat of your choice.
- Storage: Place the leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Please note that the chayote turns mushy when frozen and thawed so this dish doesn’t freeze well.
How to Make Vegetarian Ginisang Sayote:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- vegetable oil
- vegan luncheon meat
- sweet onions
- soy sauce
- mushroom oyster sauce
- ground black pepper
Place the oil in a heated skillet over medium heat. Fry the vegetarian luncheon meat until crisp on both sides, set aside:
Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Add salt, black pepper, and season to taste. Then, remove and transfer to a serving bowl:
Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Chayote is a fruit but is consumed like a vegetable. It can be used for vegetable soups, stir-fries, stews, and fillings for vegetable rolls.
Cook the chayote over medium heat for a few minutes or until it becomes soft or fork-tender.
Peel the raw chayote then slice them according to your preferred sizes (e.g. julienned, or diced) for your dish. You can sauté, deep-fry, stew, mash, roast, stuff or bake them depending on your recipe.
Vegan Ginisang Sayote
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup vegan luncheon meat diced
- ½ cup sweet onions sliced
- 2 cups sayote (chayote) sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mushroom oyster sauce
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the oil in a heated skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the vegetarian luncheon meat until crisp on both sides, set aside.
- Add in onions and cook until translucent.
- Stir in the sayote, minced garlic, soy sauce, and mushroom oyster sauce.
- Then pour in the water and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, black pepper and season to taste.
- Remove and transfer to a serving bowl then serve immediately with steamed rice.