Here’s a simple Cream of Tomato Soup full of flavor and naturally thickened without heavy cream or cream cheese.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Great source of lycopene which is an antioxidant
- Has a high content of vitamin C and potassium
- Good source of fiber
- Contains vitamin K which helps in blood clotting
- Has folate which is beneficial for pregnant women
Tips & Variations:
- If you have some basil, you can cut off fresh basil leaves and sprinkle some on top of the soup before serving for an added gourmet touch.
- Take the tomato soup to the next level of deliciousness, by using roasted tomatoes. Peel off the skin and dice before adding to the pot. I promise it will have a delicious, earthy taste to it.
- Do you love an extra kick to your soup? Add a dash of smoked paprika and red pepper flakes!
How to Make Cream of Tomato Soup:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- fresh ginger
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- ground turmeric
- vegetable broth
- canned tomatoes
- coconut milk
- lime juice
Because this recipe is a soup, I love to dice the spices as tiny as I can, like so:
Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned, stirring regularly:
Add ginger and garlic. Cook for an additional 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne. Cook for 30 seconds. Pour in vegetable broth all at once. Stir vigorously to deglaze the pan:
Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes:
Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, blend in batches using a blender. Return to the pot and add coconut milk. Return to heat if necessary:
Just before serving, stir in lime juice. This creamy soup is so easy to do!
This recipe is great for cold nights or anytime that you crave a warm soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you freeze this tomato soup?
A: Yes, tomato soup freezes well. Before serving, just defrost and reheat.
Q: What do you dip in tomato soup?
A: I love to dip freshly made garlic bread into a hot creamy tomato soup.
Q: How do you thicken tomato soup?
A: To thicken tomato soup more, you can add cornstarch just before taking it off from the heat.
Q: Can you use fresh tomatoes for this recipe?
A: Yes, using fresh tomatoes for this recipe is possible.
Q: What kind of coconut milk did you use?
Here are more vegan recipes to try!
Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz canned tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth and stir vigorously to deglaze the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and sugar, then bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup, then add coconut milk and serve. (If you don't have an immersion blender, blend in batches using a blender.)
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice.