Here’s a simple Tomato Soup full of earthy flavors and naturally thickened without heavy cream or cream cheese.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Great source of lycopene which is an antioxidant
- Has a high content of vitamin C and potassium
- Good source of fiber
- Contains vitamin K which helps in blood clotting
- Has folate which is beneficial for pregnant women
Tips & Variations:
- If you don’t like turmeric, completely omit the turmeric. The turmeric flavor is very strong in the soup and has many health benefits.
- If you have some basil, you can cut off fresh basil leaves and sprinkle some on top of the soup before serving for an added gourmet touch.
- Take the tomato soup to the next level of deliciousness, by using roasted tomatoes. Peel off the skin and dice before adding to the pot. I promise it will have a delicious, earthy taste to it.
- Do you love an extra kick to your soup? Add a dash of smoked paprika and red pepper flakes!
How to Make Cream of Tomato Soup:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- fresh ginger
- ground cumin
- ground coriander
- ground turmeric
- vegetable broth
- canned tomatoes
- coconut milk
- lime juice
Because this recipe is a soup, I love to dice the spices as tiny as I can, like so:
Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned, stirring regularly:
Add ginger and garlic. Cook for an additional 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne. Cook for 30 seconds. Pour in vegetable broth all at once. Stir vigorously to deglaze the pan:
Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes:
Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a regular blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, blend in batches using a blender. Return to the pot and add coconut milk. Return to heat if necessary:
Just before serving, stir in lime juice. This creamy soup is so easy to do!
In less than 40 minutes, you have a gluten-free and delicious vegan tomato soup.
This recipe is great for cold nights or anytime that you crave a warm soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you freeze this tomato soup?
A: Yes, tomato soup freezes well. Before serving, just defrost and reheat.
Q: What do you dip in tomato soup?
A: I love to dip freshly made garlic bread into a hot creamy tomato soup.
Q: How do you thicken tomato soup?
A: To thicken tomato soup more, you can add cornstarch just before taking it off from the heat.
Q: Can you use fresh tomatoes for this recipe?
A: Yes, using fresh tomatoes for this recipe is possible.
Q: What kind of coconut milk did you use?
Here are more vegan recipes to try!
No, but it does make the soup more creamy and you cannot taste the coconut milk.
Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz canned tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes until translucent and lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add cumin, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne, cook for about 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth and stir vigorously to deglaze the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes and sugar, then bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup, then add coconut milk and serve. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, blend in batches using a blender.)
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice.