I have been IN LOVE with donuts ever since I was introduced to them. The earliest memory I have of donuts is when I was in third grade. It was another kid’s birthday and her mom brought donuts for to us eat. (Who brings donuts to third graders?!) Anyways, I have been IN LOVE with donuts since then. My favorite ones were actually the plain donuts without the glaze or sprinkles, it was just so good! And in this time of the year, this Halloween donuts would be the perfect treat!
I actually made two versions of donuts. The picture below is the chocolate glazed donuts, which is very sweet and rich. So for those of you who like that type of donuts, follow the recipe.
These donuts were not as sweet and rich. I actually thinned out the confectioner’s sugar, just enough for the sprinkles to stick on the donuts. Basically, I added about 4 tablespoons of water instead of two to really thin out the chocolate. If you are looking to make the donuts from scratch, I do have baked donut recipe from scratch you can make. However, if you are a student, mom, sister, brother, parent, it will be so much easier to make donuts using refrigerated biscuit dough. (I challenge you to make it in 15 minutes or less.)
Tips and Tricks for Making This Halloween Donuts Recipe:
- There is also another way in making these donuts if you do not like deep-fried foods. Bake it using a donut pan!
- For a more festive look, top with your choice of colorful candy sprinkles to create that Halloween theme.
- Before frying the donuts, make sure the oil is hot enough. If not, the tendency is that the donuts will stick into the pan and would absorb so much oil in the process of frying.
- To remove some of the excess oil, pat the fried donuts with a kitchen paper towel while cooling it.
- After removing a small portion of the donut to make as the donut hole, do not throw that tiny dough away. It is useful in testing if the oil in the pan is hot enough to fry the donuts.
How to Make this Halloween Donuts Recipe:
Gather the ingredients for this Halloween Donuts. Once the ingredients are all ready, let’s begin!
In a large frying pan, add enough oil to fry the donuts and turn on the stove to medium high heat for 10 minutes. While the stove, oil, and pan are doing its job, let’s start making the donuts!
Cut holes in the refrigerated biscuit dough using a piping nozzle or any other kitchen object or tool that you think would do the job 😉
It’s as easy as that! now do not throw away the small donut dough you have cut out. That is very useful. You will see in the next step.
First, fry the donut holes to test if the oil is hot enough:
If you see that the oil is hot enough, then fry donuts. Make sure to keep an eye on them since it can burn easily. Flip from side to side:
Wow! Look at that delicious golden brown color! This is already a dessert for me but we can still take this to a higher level! Let’s dip this onto a chocolate glaze!
To make the donut glaze, in a large bowl, add confectioners sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder:
Mix well and add 2 tablespoons water and continue mixing. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and mix. If 1 more tablespoon of vanilla extract is needed, add the rest:
The glaze should be thick enough so it will cover the donuts well:
Dip donut into the chocolate glaze:
Then sprinkle colorful candy sprinkles. Choose your favorite colors for a Halloween vibe:
There you have it, Simply Bakers! Wasn’t that so quick and easy? You have delicious Halloween treats in no time! These are best paired with coffee <3
Here is a step by step picture summary of the Halloween donut recipe:
Frequently Asked Questions for the Halloween Donuts Recipe:
Q: Can I add Halloween “eyes” to have a very Halloween theme donut?
A: Yes for sure! Any edible Halloween theme candy is perfect!
Q: What oil should I use in frying the donuts?
A: There is no specific oil to use in frying these Halloween donuts. You can use canola, coconut oil, or even soy oil
Q: how many servings of donuts does this recipe make?
A: For a can of pre-made pastry dough, you can cut out eight to ten donuts.
A delicious, fun and easy way to make Halloween donuts at home so you won’t have to buy it this Halloween!
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
- oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1–2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large frying pan, add enough oil to fry the donuts and turn on the stove to medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Cut holes in the refrigerated biscuit dough and first fry the donut holes to test if the oil is hot enough, then fry donuts.
- To make the donut glaze, in a large bowl, add confectioners sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and mix. Add 2 tablespoons water and continue mixing. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and mix. If 1 more tablespoon of vanilla extract is needed, add the rest. Glaze should be think
- Dip donut into the chocolate glaze, then sprinkle colorful candy sprinkles.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!