I have been IN LOVE with donuts ever since I was introduced to them. The earliest memory I have of donuts is when I was in third grade. It was another kid’s birthday and her mom brought donuts for to us eat. (Who brings donuts to third graders?!) Anyways, I have been IN LOVE with donuts since then. My favorite ones were actually the plain donuts without the glaze or sprinkles, it was just so good! And in this time of the year, this Halloween donuts would be the perfect treat!
I actually made two versions of donuts. The picture below is the chocolate glazed donuts, which is very sweet and rich. So for those of you who like that type of donuts, follow the recipe.
These donuts were not as sweet and rich. I actually thinned out the confectioners sugar,just enough for the sprinkles to stick on the donuts. Basically, I added about 4 tablespoons of water instead of two to really thin out the chocolate. If you are looking to make the donuts from scratch, I do have baked donut recipe from scratch you can make. However, if you are a student, mom, sister, brother, parent, it will be so much easier to make donuts using refrigerated biscuit dough. (I challenge you to make it in 15 minutes or less.)
For a step-by-step tutorial of this recipe you can watch my video tutorial below. SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL and never miss a recipe! (It’s free!) and new video posts on FRIDAYS !
Watching the video makes is so much easier!
- 1 can refrigerated biscuit dough
- oil for frying
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large frying pan, add enough oil to fry the donuts and turn on the stove to medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Cut holes in the refrigerated biscuit dough and first fry the donut holes to test if the oil is hot enough, then fry donuts.
- To make the donut glaze, in a large bowl, add confectioners sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and mix. Add 2 tablespoons water and continue mixing. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and mix. If 1 more tablespoon of vanilla extract is needed, add the rest. Glaze should be think
- Dip donut into the chocolate glaze, then sprinkle sprinkles.