Learn how to make my Blueberry Scones Recipe using fresh berries! A delicious treat for breakfast, brunch, or even an afternoon treat and it’s best eaten fresh from the oven and smothered with butter or jam.
Hi Simply Bakers, in all the years I’ve been baking on YouTube, I have never made a scone recipe!! I’ve eaten a good amount of scones in my lifetime, but I never got around to baking some until now.
These Fresh Blueberry Scones are wonderful fresh out of the oven. As I was taking photos of the scones, I was popping them in my mouth and enjoying the crumbly texture and sweetness of the blueberries. Since I didn’t add a lot of sugar, the sweetness and tartness of the blueberries were able to shine.
In addition, I added a lemon glaze to drizzle over the scones and I’m so glad I did. Lemons and blueberries are a great combination- I can foresee making a lemon blueberry scone in the near feature. I didn’t show you how to make the glaze in the video, but you can find the glaze recipe in my Lemon Cake post.
What is the secret to making the perfect scones?
Pop the stick of butter in your freezer for about 30 minutes before grating it. In that way, handling the butter would be easy and would result in even sizes of grated butte
Tips and Procedures:
- It is important to sift the powdered sugar to make the glaze to avoid a lumpy glaze. Smooth glazes are the best!
- Use fresh lemons and fresh lemon zest for the best results when making the glaze. It tastes so much better!
- Coat the fresh blueberries with flour first before mixing them in the dough to prevent the blueberries from settling at the bottom. This is especially true to more runny batters.
- Have you tried “scooped” scones? You can do that with this recipe. Just scoop the dough using an ice cream scoop and bake, instead of slicing it.
How to Make this Blueberry Scone Recipe:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- sour cream
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking soda
- baking powder
- unsalted butter
- frozen or fresh blueberries
Before starting the mixing and kneading process, don’t forget to preheat oven to 400 F and move the rack to the center. The blueberry scone dough is a bit dense so it needs the right temperature for it to be baked properly. Now, let’s begin!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this easy, delicious Blueberry Scones!
In a medium sized bowl add the eggs and sour cream:
Mix until it’s well combined. Set aside:
In a large bowl whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined:
Now, here is the tedious part. Using a grater, grate the frozen unsalted butter into the bowl:
After grating the whole stick of unsalted butter, mix with a fork till just combined:
It’s time to mix in the wet batter to the dry ingredients. Mix until it’s well combined and there are no lumps:
Add the fresh blueberries and knead the dough until everything is mixed in:
Don’t worry about crushing some of the fresh blueberries. It would still taste good 🙂
Lay the dough on a floured surface and create a circle like a pizza 🙂 (check the youtube video). Then slice into 9 pieces with a pastry cutter (or you can make the slices thinner if you want to have more scones):
Place on a mat or baking sheet lined with parchment paper:
As you can see, I added a bit of organic white sugar on top of the scones. I did not add much sugar when I was making the dough and I decided to add just a bit of sweetness to it.
Bake for 15-17 minutes and there you have it! Easy, delicious homemade blueberry scones! Your kitchen will smell amazing!
The magic doesn’t stop there, this step is optional, but lemon and blueberry go well together so it is best to drizzle lemon glaze. It would take your blueberry scones over the top! Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Yes! It works perfectly fine.
Yes, you can. Making it ahead of time and just chilling it when you need them will save you a lot of prepping time. The dough can be stored for up to 3 days in refrigerator in an airtight container.
That would be possible but maybe it has a different texture like when you use whole wheat flour, it would result may be in a drier blueberry scone.
Unfortunately, for this recipe eggs are important.
Looking for more sweet breakfast ideas? Check out some of my favorites:
Easiest Blueberry Scones Recipe Ever
- 1 egg large
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter frozen
- ½ cup blueberries frozen or fresh
- Preheat oven to 400 F and move the rack to the center.
- In a medium size bowl add the eggs, sour cream and mix until it's well combined, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a grater, grate the butter into the bowl and then mix with a fork untill just combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Add the fresh blueberries and knead the dough until everything is mixed in.
- Lay the dough on a floured surface and create a circle (check the youtube video). Then slice into 9 pieces and place on a mat lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes and drizzle glaze*
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!