I cannot believe I started making Christmas desserts already and it’s not even Thanksgiving! I actually blame my brother and sisters because they have been playing Christmas music ALL DAY LONG! I’m just kidding, I actually wanted to start baking Christmas desserts weeks ago, but I thought it was too soon. And since Thanksgiving is less than a week away, I thought why not?
The combination of the candy canes, chocolate cake, and whipped topping is VERY delightful! The peppermint gives a holiday taste, at the same time it’s not very strong because the chocolate cake balances it. I look forward to baking more holiday desserts. If you do make any of my recreation, please #SBholidaybaking!
Tips and Tricks for Making This Candy Cane Cake Recipe:
- Are you having a party? Make this recipe into candy cane cake bites!
- Presentation is key! The frosting and decor need not be perfect but at least presentable enough for parties 🙂
- Sift, sift, sift! Always remember to sift the dry ingredients before adding them in.
How to Make this Candy Cane Cake Recipe:
Before starting, don’t forget to preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare the ingredients ahead. It saves you a lot of time to lay them all out, plus, you know you are not missing an ingredient.
After preheating and preparing the ingredients, grease, and place parchment paper on two, nine inch round pans.
Now, let’s begin!
In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder:
Make a well in the middle and add, eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly and make sure the batter has no lumps:
Add boiling water and continue mixing. You will see that the batter will be thinner because we added hot water:
Pour into pans and bake for 30-35 minutes:
After taking out from the oven, let it cool for 30-45 minutes before slicing it in half, just like so:
Add whipped topping and crushed candy canes, best served chilled:
There you go, Simply Bakers! You have a delicious and pretty Christmas cake ready for any party during the holidays!
I really hope you will make this cake and serve to your family and friends <3
Frequently Asked Questions for Candy Cane Cake Recipe:
Q: Can I do this a few days ahead?
A: Yes, sure you can. You can opt to decorate it ahead or decorate it with candy canes just before serving.
Q: How many servings would this recipe have?
A: You can have six to eight regular slices of candy can cake.
Q: Can this cake recipe be made into cupcakes?
A: Yes. Just use individual cupcake pans or you can even make this into a loaf cake!Print
Candy Cane Cake
An easy-breezy Christmas Candy Cane Cake that is so easy to make and great for Christmas and holiday parties
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 8oz whipped topping
- crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and place parchment paper on two, nine inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- Make a well in the middle and add, eggs, milk, oil, vanilla extract and mix about 2 minutes. Add boiling water and continue mixing, batter will be thin. Pour into pans
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, cool for 30-45 minutes.
- Add whipped topping and crushed candy canes, best served chilled.
Recipe inspired by Hershey’s Chocolate Cake