This Avocado Ice Candy is made with fresh avocados, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. It’s the Filipino version of ice pops and it’s delicious and a great summer treat to eat on a hot humid day.
Tips and Tricks for Making This Avocado Ice Candy Recipe:
- When choosing the right “ripeness” of an avocado, pinch it a bit. If it’s soft but not too soft, that is the best avocado to use for this recipe.
- If you happen to buy an unripe avocado, the best way to ripen it is to place it in a brown paper bag with an apple or banana and wait for two to three days. It is best to check daily if it has ripened to avoid having a very mushy avocado
- Here’s another trick to know if an avocado is ripe enough: Peel back or cut off the stem or cap at the top of the avocado. If it comes off easily, you’ve got a good ripe avocado
- Another way of packaging your avocado ice candy in the freezer is by using tiny plastic bags, the long ones, which you can find in grocery stores. In the Philippines, that is the most popular way of packing their avocado ice candy before popping them in the freezer.
- You can also pour this avocado ice cream in popsicle molds and enjoy it just the same.
- If evaporated milk is not your thing, you can replace it with full-fat coconut milk. It would taste just as good and creamy. It’s healthier, too!
- Feeling adventurous in making this avocado ice candy? You can add in sweetened coconut strips or put a few drops of flavoring like mint, vanilla extract, or even ripe mangoes!
How to Make this Avocado Ice Candy Recipe:
Gather the ice candy ingredients – avocado, sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, and evaporated milk. Let’s begin! 🥑 🥑 🥑
Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed:
Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado flesh, just like what I did here:
Then, pour out the sweetened condensed milk to the avocado flesh:
(It was too late when I realized that I can put the scooped avocado flesh and the sweetened condensed milk right into the blender and not use a bowl for it. I could have washed just a few, lol!)
Blend the ingredients in a blender since we will be blending it until the texture turns into something like a smoothie:
Place into ice trays or in this case, I used muffin trays:
In this recipe, you can make about 18-24 pcs of Avocado Ice Candy, depending on how much you put in each mold.
Cover with foil before popping into the freezer. This ensures a clean and well-frozen Avocado Ice Candy. Freeze at least 4-6 hours or best overnight:
Are you excited to eat them now? 🙂 Wait a bit! To loosen up the bottom of the Avocado Ice Candy, place it on top of lukewarm water so you can easily take them out from the mold.
Not very many people know that avocado tastes delicious as a sweet treat and Filipino’s love eating it with condensed milk and brown sugar.
How do you like eating avocados? Drop your delicious ways of eating in the comment section 🙂
Frequently Asked Questions for Avocado Ice Candy Recipe:
Q: Can I use a hand mixer to smash the avocado?
A: Yes, a hand mixer can be used. Just be extra careful because it can easily mess up your kitchen counter since it will become liquidy after a few seconds. It is best to use a deep mixing bowl for that.
Q: Can I use powdered milk instead of sweetened condensed milk?
A: For sure, it would work perfectly fine. maybe you just need to add sugar since powdered milk isn’t on the sweet side. That is if you want a sweet avocado ice candy.
Q: How long can I keep it in the freezer?
A: You can keep it for a week, but I know it will be eaten right away since it is so yummy and refreshing!
If you want more Filipino Desserts like this try:
Avocado Ice Candy
- 1 Avocado
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tablespoon evaporated milk or water*
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed.
- In a blender add the avocado, sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, and blend.
- Place into ice trays and freeze at least 4-6 hours or best overnight.