Homemade Twix Bars have a shortbread crust topped with caramel and chocolate, easy to make and very addicting!
Growing up I craved for the candy Twix Bar, however my parents did not want me eating candy so I probably ate it once a year.
So when I got to be of age, I bought myself Twix Bar whenever I could.
Until I tried making it and saw how much chocolate, caramel and unhealthy stuff went into it.
I now eat only half of the bar, I can’t bring myself to finish the whole thing. However, if I had to choose my favorite candy bar, it would be the Twix Bar.
What is Twix Bar?
The recipe for Twix Bars dates back to the mid-twentieth century, when the Mars Company introduced the candy bar to the market.
Twix was inspired by the idea of blending two complementing flavors – caramel and chocolate – to produce a delectable delicacy.
The candy bar was first debuted in the United Kingdom in 1967 as “Raider” and was later renamed “Twix” in other regions. The name “Twix” is thought to be a combination of the terms “twin” and “biscuits,” referring to the bar’s two crunchy graham cracker layers.
Today, the Twix Bar is an iconic and cherished sweet delicacy eaten by people all across the world. Its delectable blend of creamy caramel, crisp graham crackers, and silky chocolate continues to satisfy sweet cravings and is frequently connected with happy childhood memories.
Whether bought from a store or made at home, the Twix Bar remains a timeless classic that brings joy and comfort to dessert enthusiasts everywhere.
Making it Healthy and Guilt-Free:
While the Twix Bar is a delicious treat, you can make a few healthy ingredient substitutions to create a more nutritious version of this classic candy. Here are some options:
- Date Caramel: Instead of using traditional caramel candies that are often high in processed sugars, opt for a healthier alternative like date caramel. Simply blend pitted dates with a little water or milk until you achieve a smooth, caramel-like consistency. Dates are a natural sweetener and provide added fiber and essential nutrients.
- Whole Wheat Graham Crackers: Choose whole wheat or whole grain graham crackers instead of the regular ones. Whole wheat options offer more fiber, vitamins, and minerals compared to refined versions, promoting better digestion and sustained energy levels.
- Dark Chocolate: Substitute the regular milk chocolate with dark chocolate that has a higher cocoa content (70% or more). Dark chocolate contains antioxidants and may have potential health benefits, such as improving heart health and cognitive function.
- Low-Fat Milk or Plant-Based Milk: Use low-fat milk or a plant-based milk like almond, soy, or oat milk to mix with the caramel. This swap reduces saturated fat and cholesterol, making the Twix Bars more heart-friendly.
By incorporating these healthier ingredients, you can still enjoy the delightful taste of Twix Bars while adding some nutritional value to your indulgence. Remember to consume treats like these in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Tips and Procedures:
- Make this into a yummy food gift! Just pile them up and wrap in pretty food wraps and tie a ribbon around it!
- If you experience difficulty in stirring the caramel when melting it, just add a little milk to loosen it a bit.
- When a microwave is not available, you can melt the caramel and chocolate using a double boiler. Just make sure the water does not reach the bottom of the bowl because the caramel and chocolate will not melt properly.
- Mix a bit of peanut butter to the caramel or do a separate layer of peanut butter coating for added flavor. You will have your homemade Peanut butter Twix! Yum!
- When letting the Twix bar cool, lay them on a piece of parchment paper so it won’t stick when you remove them afterward.
- Serve these homemade Twix bars with ice cream! All sweet but so refreshing!
How to Make this Twix Bar Recipe:
Gather the ingredients for this Twix Bar recipe.
Here are what you will need for this recipe:
- caramel candies melted
- graham crackers, assorted sizes
- chocolate, melted
Once the ingredients are all ready, let’s begin!
Place the caramel candies in a medium bowl and pop in a microwave, then add milk to caramel and mix. The consistency should be like this:
On a graham cracker, cover one side of the graham cracker with caramel and set aside till caramel hardens:
In another cup or bowl melt the chocolate and dip the finished graham cracker and set aside in the refrigerator or in a cool location:
And we are done! This no-bake, super easy sweet treat is a perfect go-to during kids’ parties, movie nights, and even just something to have on your cookie jars!
Let’s open it up and take a look at those gorgeous layers of caramel and chocolate!
Frequently Asked Questions:
This delicious and easy no-bake Twix Bar recipe can make up to 6-8 pieces.
Yes you can. But obviously, that would make this dessert much sweeter than it already is. Dark chocolate is suggested for this recipe.
The three main ingredients in Twix are crunchy biscuit, soft caramel, and creamy milk chocolate. This winning combination of textures and flavors has made Twix a beloved and iconic candy bar enjoyed by people worldwide.
More delicious and simple sweet treats:
- Caramel Hot Chocolate
- Hot Fudge Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cookies Only 5 Ingredients
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Delicious and Easy Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Candy
- 10 caramel candies melted
- 6-8 graham crackers assorted sizes
- 1 ½ cups chocolate melted
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Melt caramel candies in microwave, then add milk to caramel and mix.
- On a graham cracker, cover one side of the graham cracker with caramel and set aside till caramel hardens.
- In another cup or bowl melt the chocolate and dip the finished graham cracker and set aside in the refrigerator or in a cool location.
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!