These Vietnamese Coffee Popsicles are unique and delicious homemade frozen treats with a perfect blend of strong coffee taste and creamy sweetened condensed milk! They are great for summer desserts or afternoon snacks for coffee lovers and friends!
What are Vietnamese Coffee Popsicles?
These Vietnamese Coffee popsicles are delicious frozen desserts made with a mixture of brewed coffee, sweetened condensed milk, ice cream or cool whip, and milk. They are super duper easy to make, made with a few ingredients, and perfect treats for coffee lovers!
If you haven’t tried this, better check this out for a summer treat. Give this easy popsicle recipe a try and enjoy a perfect balance of bold coffee and sweetened milk in a popsicle!
History of Vietnamese Coffee
In 1857, coffee was first introduced to Vietnam by a French Catholic priest who brought a Coffea arabica tree to northern Vietnam. Through the plantation system, the Vietnamese coffee industry was developed.
In the 19th century, Vietnam was a French colony therefore the coffee drink was usually made with dark roast coffee in a French drip filter. At that time, there was a scarcity of fresh milk so the French and Vietnamese began to use sweetened condensed milk with dark roast coffee. Nowadays, Vietnamese coffee often uses Robusta coffee beans.
The French may have introduced coffee to the Vietnamese but through the years, they have specially made it their own. Also, Vietnam is now the second-largest coffee producer and exporter worldwide. Just amazing!
Health Benefits of Coffee:
- Boosts energy levels.
- Supports brain health.
- Lowers risk of depression.
- Promotes liver and heart health.
- Protects against Type 2 diabetes.
Tips and Procedures:
- Feel free to add vanilla extract to this recipe.
- For a vegan version, use dairy-free coconut condensed milk to mix in this coffee drink.
- Be sure to mix layers 1 and 2 until well combined and allow the ice cream or cool whip slightly melt prior to scooping it into the molds.
- If other ingredients are unavailable, a mixture of just brewed coffee and sweetened condensed milk can do.
- It is best to use freshly ground coffee but you may use any coffee beans you like. You can also use espresso powder or instant coffee instead of brewing the coffee through the phin.
- You can use any popsicle mold available, like a silicone mold or small paper cups with popsicle sticks.
- Storage: It is best to keep the popsicles in the freezer until ready to serve. They can keep for up to 1 month in the freezer, well wrapped in freezer bags.
How to Make Vietnamese Coffee Popsicles:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- cold brew coffee (sweeten to your liking)
- sweetened condensed milk
- ice cream or cool whip
Mix layers 1 and 2 until well combined. Next, add 1-2 tablespoons of layer 3 into the popsicle molds and freeze for about 1 hour. Then, add the mixed layers (1 & 2) and fill about ¾ full and insert popsicle sticks. Freeze 4-5 hours or best overnight:
When you are ready to eat run the molds under hot water for 20 seconds to loosen the molds and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
There is a chocolate fragrance in Vietnamese coffee since it contains Robusta.
It tastes chocolatey and nutty. It has a perfect blend of bitter coffee and sweetened condensed milk.
It is an icy variation of Vietnamese coffee that is made with a mixture of brewed coffee and sweetened condensed milk, frozen then scraped, and served with condensed milk for drizzling on top.
Vietnamese Coffee Popsicles
- 1 cup cold brew coffee sweeten to like your liking
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅛ cup milk
- 1 cup cool whip *
- Mix layers 1 and 2 until well combined
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of layer 3 into the popsicle molds
- Freeze for about 1 hour
- Add the mixed layers (1 & 2) and fill about ¾ full and insert popsicle sticks
- Freeze 4-5 hours or best overnight
- When you are ready to eat run the molds under hot water for 20 seconds to loosen the molds and enjoy!