No ice cream machine needed to make this delicious and flavorful Filipino Ube Ice Cream! With five ingredients and a little mixing, you have homemade ube ice cream that is fine in texture, creamy, and a healthier version of the store-bought ice cream!
Health benefits of Ube or Purple Yam:
- Great source of antioxidants
- A delicious source of good carbohydrates
- Aids in lowering blood sugar when eaten without sweeteners
- Promotes a healthy digestive system because of its fiber content
- Rich source of Vitamins A and C
Tips and Variations:
- If you love texture add bits of boiled ube before freezing it.
- Fresh Ube is not always available, so feel free to use frozen grated ube.
- Add vanilla extract to give the ube ice cream more flavor.
- Add chocolate chips, it makes it tastes better!
How to Make Ube Ice Cream:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- all-purpose cream or heavy whipping cream
- ube (purple yams) boiled, peeled and cut into wedges
- condensed milk
- coconut milk
- ube flavoring
If using fresh ube (purple yams):
In a pot over medium, heat up some water and place the sliced ube. Boil it for about 35 minutes or until tender.
In a mixer or food processor, add all-purpose cream and mix until it becomes foamy about 2-3 minutes. If using heavy whipping cream, mix until stiff peak forms:
Next, fold in the boiled ube, condensed milk, 1 tablespoon ube flavoring, and coconut cream and mix until well combined:
Feel free to add more ube flavoring for a stronger taste.
Now, we are ready to freeze it!
Transfer into a container, cover and freeze overnight and cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Does ube taste like taro?
A: The texture is almost the same but ube and taro are different. The taste of ube is slightly sweeter than taro.
Q: Does ube ice cream have dairy?
A: This recipe uses dairy because of the condensed milk, but you can opt to use alternative milk that doesn’t have dairy but is sweet just like the condensed milk.
Q: Can you use Nestle cream instead of the heavy cream?
A: Nestle cream is a popular cream used in the Philippines and it can be used for this recipe. Just make sure to whip it well so it becomes foamy.
Q: Can you make this in an ice cream maker as well?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe in an ice cream maker.
More delicious Ice Cream recipes to try!
- Filipino Mango Ice Cream
- Buko Pandan Ice Cream
- Cookie Butter Ice Cream
- Homemade 4 Ingredient Oreo Ice Cream
- 3 Ingredient Ice Cream 3 Ways Only
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Mocha Ice Cream | 5 Ingredients ONLY
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- Pineapple Ice Cream
- Vegan Fruit Popsicles
Ube Ice Cream
Learn how to make this easy recipe of Ube Ice Cream using 5 ingredients only without an ice cream machine needed!
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours
- Yield: 3-4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup all-purpose cream or heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup ube boiled, peeled and cut into wedges
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- ¼ cup coconut Milk
- 1–2 tablespoon ube flavoring
- In a pot over medium, heat up some water and place the sliced ube. Boil it for about 35 minutes or until tender.
- In a bowl or food processor, add all-purpose cream and mix until it becomes foamy about 2-3 minutes. If using heavy whipping cream, mix until stiff peak forms.
- Next, add in the boiled ube, condensed milk, 1 tablespoon ube flavoring and coconut cream and mix until well combined. Feel free to add more ube flavoring for a stronger taste.
- Transfer into a container, cover and freeze overnight.
- Best served frozen
Keywords: ube ice cream
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!